Planning Permission is about to run out...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 1 month left for the "Conversion of garage into habitable room. Removal of existing garage door and installation of new door to match existing, with openable window and escape hatch". I don't want to do the interior work of adding a staircase to connect the garage to our flat above at the present time as we currently have good tenants in place, so this will be done in the future BUT I need to "start" the work so that Planning Permission is not lost. Conversion of the garage into a habitable space has sort-of happened as it's full of furniture (!) however I'm aware this doesn't mean work has started. If I purchase new garage doors and temporarily fit them over the current doors until we start work proper would that constitute starting the works? Or what actually would constitute a start?

Sponsored Links
Hi - Section 56 of the Town & Country Planning Act 1990 sets out what needs to be done to "begin" development. However, there is a lot of law around this subject as it there is usually a lot at stake when someone needs to prove that a permission has/hasn't been begun. Here's the link -

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/8/section/56

A word of warning though - you should check that there are no conditions attached to your planning permission that require you to obtain the Council's approval of other matters before development can lawfully begin.

It doesn't sound like you have building regs approvals then?

If you have, then the building control officer would provide a schedule of notifiable works and once you get them to the first inspection then they'd have a record that works had started and the planning permission would be valid.

If you haven't then get your skates on, otherwise you'll have to re-submit your planning permission.

You need to undertake "significant" works to enact the permission.

Normally this would be laying the foundations - even if you cover the concrete back up. Or it could be altering major walls.

To be honest though, I doubt the planners will be interested if you miss the deadline, even by years.

Sponsored Links
A substantiative start my LA likes to call it.

To be honest, if you read the TCPA you can actually get away with just digging a trench. Generally speaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back