planning permission needed for horses in my field ?

Sponsored Links
Why not call the planning dept and ask them? They are usually helpful with such questions.

what is the current classification of the land? Be careful you don't wipe thousands of the value of your land by downgrading it from residential to equestrian

It might be a change of use scenario, rather than planning. If you charge others, then it might get classified as a change of business

Sponsored Links
The horses could come and graze on my grass in the back garden and it would not need permission. Same thing.

Equestrian land can be quite tricky.

Off the top of my head if it is just a field purely used for grazing then it should be an agricultural use. I believe if feed is brought for the horses and/or equestrian equipment is put on the land (jumps, shelters etc.) then it becomes equestrian land and a change of use is required, it therefore usually requires an application as horses don't tend to just eat grass.

Are there horse police now?
Who the heck is gonna notice or care if horses are grazing in your field, that's where we would expect to see horses - in a field.

Are there horse police now?
Who the heck is gonna notice or care if horses are grazing in your field, that's where we would expect to see horses - in a field.

Hay. Don't spur the neigh sayers.

what is the current classification of the land? Be careful you don't wipe thousands of the value of your land by downgrading it from residential to equestrian

Again if the land is Agricultural you will have to reclassify the Land as Equestrian.
You will also probably be required to erect some sort of Shelter on the land to protect the horses during inclement weather, plus the field would need to be checked if its too muddy or wet, the Horses could end up with "Hoof Rot".

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back