Planning permission needed to brick up external door/window?

N

NotSoFast

Do I need planning permission to brick up an external door and window?

I am planning to convert my kitchen & dining room into a kitchen diner. I will be removing the wall between the two and bricking up an external door and window in the old kitchen (they look onto the side access and next door's side wall).

There will still be a window and external exit from the new room. Picture shows what's proposed. House is 3 stories if that makes a difference. Location is Harlow, Essex.

I have looked online and found nothing so I phoned the council's planning department. Their response was to fill in the "do I need planning permission?" form on their website and wait several weeks for them to get back to me but I'd like to start work sooner than that if at all possible.

View media item 43571

Sponsored Links
But you will need Building Regs as you will need to ensure you upgrade the thermal element of the window, and possibly for the internal wall removal assuming an rsj or beam is being used.

Sponsored Links
A wall is a thermal element, if you replace a window aperture with brickwork then it must comply with the minimal thermal requirements. This needs compliance certification.

The same applies to replacing flat rooves or adding external insulating cladding to your whole house.

Check with your LA as some may not expect a Building Notice.

you also need to think off fire escape if you are blocking off your only other exit in case off a fire you will need to check

you also need to think off fire escape if you are blocking off your only other exit in case off a fire you will need to check
Fire egress will be no worse as there will be an exit retained by the dining door. In anycase a kitchen does not need its own exit to the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back