Planning permission or Lawful Development Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some weeks ago my architect told me that the planner said there are no objections so he will send it for approval. A week after that the architect said it is very frustrating but there is something contradictory and the planning officer has made up his mind to refuse despite the alternatives put in by the Architects for something which they believe is a permitted development. Two days ago I was told a new application will need to go in for a Certificate of Lawful development.

Is it a normal process to apply for Lawful Development Certificate if planning is an issue?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply. The architects are renowned locally, ARB/RIBA registered and have plenty of applications to their credit on the local authority website. So we thought we are in safe hands. Too late to change now as we have already paid a hefty fee for their services.

My questions are:
1) Is LDC an alternative to planning permission?
2) When is LDC needed and when is PP needed?

LDCs simply provide formal confirmation that something is "Permitted Development". There is no absolute mandate that says you must obtain an LDC. However, it is very wise to obtain an LDC for anything more then the simplest of PD projects.
An LDC application is not "refused" as in your can't do something. It will simply declined on the basis that what you propose is NOT PD and you are invited to submit a planning application.
Planning apps are a requirement for anything that is NOT PD.

Sponsored Links
LDCs simply provide formal confirmation that something is "Permitted Development".

An LDC is granted to any lawful development, not just confirmation of PD.

It's typically used when someone wants to know if a particular use of land or a building would be lawful, but more commonly to certify that an existing use or development such as an extension is beyond enforcement action and thus lawful.

First of all thank you for all your answers. Apologies I had to be away so couldn't reply earlier.
Applied for:
1. Porch, front entrance. Not sure if we are within the 2m high way boundary as I don't know if the kerb is included/excluded. Some houses do have a porch.
2. Loft conversion. Not conservation, but Article 4.
3. Side return extension. Neighbour's window on their side(facing our house) and rear walls.
Events sequence:
1. Survey, drawings, PP application.
2. End of 6/7th week (IIRC) update, planning officer(PO) will recommend for approval as no response during consultation period which means no clear objections.
3. Next update(IIRC 2 weeks since last), PO says porch would upset symmetry and proportion of house and therefore the street, too close to highway for PD, rear extension would cause harm to neighbour by reducing light to window.
4. Next update, we will do a new application for LDC without porch.

Forgot to ask, out of the 3 things if thing is rejected then does it warrant a new application even if others are allowed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back