Lawful development certificate

Me again - having searched my local planning applications I've found this extension:

103szyg.png

So a ‘similar shaped house to mine – you are telling me this is L shaped – and the L is facing the high way – so does not fall under ‘permitted development’.

BUT –the council have granted a Certificate of Lawful development stating:
Granted : Planning permission is not required by virtue of the town and country planning – General permitted development – as the proposed development does not exceed the dimensions or infringe any of the criteria set out in Class A.

Sponsored Links
If you want to whack in an app for an LDC then that's your call. But your proposal is not PD. If the council pass it its because they don't understand the legislation. You have read the document I linked to, its a plain as night and day.

In my neck of the woods there are lots of 1930s houses that have small side projections - half a metre, three quarters metre etc. Planners tend to take a view on these and, depending on the situation, don't always treat them as front facing walls. Your example looks similar to that. If I understand correctly your own proposal is a much larger projection - closer to 2 metres - where planners may not be quite so amenable.

Sponsored Links
The current dining room sticks out 1 meter ish (I think its 1.10) . behind that is 'gate' and you can't see the kitchen protection.

The extension is planned to come out 4 meters - so a lot wider - but - my semi - will then match the other half.. because currently is has a garage - 4meters wide at the front - so I will actually be making my house 'match' next door.. so not as 'unsightly as would be imagined - it will also match the detached opposite.. which has a garage the same width as the other half of the semi.

I think my planner has viewed the 'principal elevation as being the one with the porch and the bays - (e.g. the front wall).. and taken the 'side wall facing a highway ' to not apply as the side wall does not face a highway..

I think the feels that the 'projection of the dinning room' is not part of the principal elevation (as it's not .. it's a different height - and is not 'part of an L shaped principle elevation)

Having read up a bit on planning jungle (I'm not a member so cannot access more recent stuff) there have been 'appeals' upheld to count our 'side wall as not part of the principal elevation - and others where it would count.. so its a 'planning grey area' ..

(I know your going to say its not.. but there we go)..

I am still waiting to hear back from the second architect (he did warn me he would not look at my job till this week - so I'm not surprised I have not heard back yet..)

Well nobody can say that you are not now well informed, which moving forward can only be a good thing. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back