Planning permission outside PD (more than 50% 2 storey)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We would like to extend out 3 bed cottage by adding a two storey extension with a kitchen downstairs and 2 bedrooms upstairs.

The extension would be outside PD as the cottage was extended in 1979 to turn it from a 2 up 2 down making 3 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs. The house was registered derelict before this addition.

We have had pre planning advice and been told no because it is over the 50% of PD, I was wondering if anyone has been able to get a similar extension through and what our chances are (we can't find much locally).
I am on overnight home dialysis so an en suite would make life much easier (for removal of waste dialysis fluid overnight, it currently goes into drainage bags).
We also both have disabled parents who may come to live with us in the future.
I'm not sure if any of these things would affect a decision but they are the main reasons behind the extension being double storey.

Any advice or experiences of something similar would be great, many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
From my understanding of it (and I might have the wrong end of the stick) there is also a planning policy that says it can't be over 50% of the original footprint, the 1979 extension has 'used' the 50% already (hence going for full planning and not permitted development).
We are in Herefordshire on a farm so not in any conservation area or area of outstanding natural beauty etc.

Ahh OK so the maximum increase is stipulated in your Local Plan Guidance, in my experience the Panning authority will not make an exception. Been there done that. Though in my case it was only a 30% allowance. After lots of toing and froing they said they may accept up to 34% but no more. So you could apply and put forward a robust argument (document) justifying why they should make an exception (ie play the whole 'your needs' and accommodating disabled relatives including doctors letters if possible) but know that it will likely be rejected and an appeal would likely be unsuccessful. And you may be able to get an exemption of the planning fee.

I got a horrific front extension approved for a disabled person so sometimes they relent but if they've already said no in a pre-app I expect that stance would not change.

Sponsored Links
It's not local policy fmt; it's the GPDO. That said, I don't really understand the advice from the LPA - perhaps something has been lost in translation. I agree that on the basis of the information given this could not be done under PD, but has the LPA cited particular policy which would render planning permission unlikely?

LPA's (and appeal inspectors) do consider social need, so absolutely include that in your case.

It's not local policy fmt; it's the GPDO
You talking 50% of the curtilage or the existing house? Because I wasn't aware that the GPDO limits extensions with respect to a percentage other than curtilage which I assumed the OP was not talking about.

Hi,

Sorry if I am using the wrong terms, I'm new to this and still learning the lingo!
The curtilage (if I understand what that is, based on my quick google!) is big as the cottage is on 30 acres (2 fields of grassland rented out) and about 2 acres of garden and orchard.

We paid for pre planning advice and the person who drew up our plans submitted it for us. He said they had come back with a "no - it's too big", his next step was to think about applying for a single story extension but that wouldn't really solve our problems with bedrooms and en suites (and therefore dialysis drainage).

I'm not sure if a particular policy was mentioned re size, I have had a look on the council website but there are a lot of policies and I can't see anything that looks relevant.......

There was also some talk about the extension needing to be subordinate to the house (not sure if that is the original 2 bed cottage) but the '79 extension is taller and doesn't look subordinate to the original. The roofline of the proposed extension was kept low to make sure it was level with the '79 extension.

Sorry! I have a bit of a scatter gun approach to thinking and we initially started the process about 18 months ago before I started dialysis so some of it is only coming back to me (not the bit about where we live, luckily I'm not that bad(!) I just didn't think to mention it)!

Is this Green Belt? Although p.d. is still applicable there, LPAs vary on how much additional extension they will allow as policy if it actually needs planning permission.

Do you have a plan of the house as it stands now. Someone might be able to suggest solutions.

I doubt that you have 30 acres of curtilage- but exactly how curtilage is defined is something of a grey area. That said, you clearly have plenty, meaning my earlier comment was somewhat mistaken.

Hi,

I have just checked and we are not in a green belt (or even a village!) there are only 5 houses in our postcode and none of them within sight of the house.
I know that what we want can't be done within PD (as it's too big and the house has already been extended in '79 by 50% of the original footprint) but I was hoping that we would be able to extend it through full planning.....

Hi,

I will try and sort a plan of the house and post it.

Ah, I see what you mean re curtilage, I suppose there is about an acre of garden around the house (excluding an orchard and paddock)

Without seeing a drawing showing the setting of the house in relation relation to its curtilage, the road, etc. I can't really see that we can help. But be aware that Local Authorities don't always get this stuff right, either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back