Planning Permission / Permitted Development, a question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, this is probably a daft question, but I'm curious so thought I'd ask anyway.

If planning permission was refused for something, can you just go ahead and build something smaller as a permitted development, or does the previous planning application impact on it in any way?

Just toying with the idea of something which is a shade bigger than a permitted development, but could be compromised (and thus redesigned to become a permitted development) as a last resort (if that makes sense).

Sponsored Links
A refused planning application has no bearing on the permitted development. If it falls within PD rules you can build it.

If it's permitted development, that's what it is, regardless of the fact planning permission has been refused for something else, as long as it is within the scope of permitted development, your okay. This can also, not fall under the remit of building controls, but that depends on what you are doing.
You can inform planning of your idea, and they will quite happily send you a letter saying your project falls within the PD guidelines, but they will want a fee.

First check & be sure your PD rights haven’t been withdrawn for whatever reason.

Sponsored Links
also remember its permitted development from the origional footprint[floor area] as built or as standing at 1948ish if older

Thanks folks, yeah it's a 1990 build end terrace/link in it's original state (including wood framed windows and nearly clapped out boiler lol). I'll check with the relevant planning/buildings control people nearer the time, but it's nice to be pre-armed with a clue what I'm talking about lol. :D

The association of Mortgage Lenders is recommending these days that even if you don't need Planning permission then you get a Certificate of Lawfulness, it helps out no end when you come to sell the property. Especially if a Planning application has been refused on one application. £75 well spent.
Cheers,
Nick

The association of Mortgage Lenders is recommending these days that even if you don't need Planning permission then you get a Certificate of Lawfulness, it helps out no end when you come to sell the property. Especially if a Planning application has been refused on one application. £75 well spent.
Cheers,
Nick
The trouble with that is though, is that you have to bascially put a full planning application together to support it ie plans, eles existing & proposed & loc plan so you're doing about 90% of a full application anyway! :rolleyes:

Yes, agreed but you will need them for the Building Regulations application anyway. Better that than have a legal wrangle later on over whether it needed it, or not.

Yes, agreed but you will need them for the Building Regulations application anyway. Better that than have a legal wrangle later on over whether it needed it, or not.
I'm not coming from a customer point of view though, I'm coming from a supplier of such applications point of view and if people do not (or will not :rolleyes:) see the benefit they will not pay for it. Unfortunately most people are very naive and think you're just trying to get extra cash out of them.

I'm not coming from a customer point of view though, I'm coming from a supplier of such applications point of view and if people do not (or will not :rolleyes:) see the benefit they will not pay for it. Unfortunately most people are very naive and think you're just trying to get extra cash out of them.

I, er, thought this site was for the customer.

I, er, thought this site was for the customer.

OED forum definition; noun (pl. forums) 1 a meeting or medium for an exchange of views

We can all be pedantic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back