Planning permission re-apply ? (hip to pitched roof)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have planning permission & building regs agreed for a 4 x 5 m extension on the back of my house, with a hipped roof.

In hindsight, we are now thinking that a straightforward pitched roof may be the best design for what we now want and the look we would like to achieve.

Can anyone confirm please if we need to obtain any further planning or building regs approval, or can we just specify this to our builder and proceed with the pitched roof ??

Many thanks in advance for any input.

Regards,
Sean

Sponsored Links
You will need to re-apply for planning permission. There is no guarantee that the new style roof will be acceptable, so either get some informal advice from the planning officer first or get formal permission before you start the roof work. You apply for the roof work not the whole extension

You can just alter the work and have building control inspect it afterwards - no need to re-apply, although they may want an amended drawing for their file

This kind of thing can probably be done under an amendment to the existing application rather than re-applying for a whole new application, probably under an 'Application for the Removal of a Condition' ie one of the conditions of the original approval would have been that it must be built in accordance with the approved drawings however you can apply to have this condition changed. That way you only need to re-submit the relevant revised drawings. You must check with the Planners though to make sure they'll accept it as an amendment before you apply though. I'm not sure I'd fancy your chances though as the planners usually favour a hip end rather than a straight pitched roof. :idea:

A roof alteration is a significant alteration isn't it? And as such will require a new application so that neighbours have the chance to comment

An application to alter a condition for this type of work will likely be refused and waste time

Sponsored Links
Open your eyes ^woody^!

You must check with the Planners though to make sure they'll accept it as an amendment before you apply though.

I saw that, but its no good advising the OP to do something which wont be acceptable and then putting in a caveat. :rolleyes:

The OP proposes a completely different style of roof which can't be done as a rider to the existing permission

You have no idea what the OPs planners will and will not accept as an amendment, all authorities vary as to what they consider a minor amendment to be, it is certainly worth asking before he puts in full application. I have recommended a plausible route to go down.

I'd be very suprised if any planning authority accepts a completely different roof design as a rider.

In fact, so suprised, that if they do I'll pop down and build it myself for free*

* Caveat - As long as I have not got anything else to do at home

a straightforward pitched roof may be the best design for what we now want

When you say a pitched roof, you mean a gable?

Can anyone confirm please if we need to obtain any further planning or building regs approval

Planning - Speak to your LPA or instead of going down the formal route, just try and get in contact with the case officer who dealt with your application.

Building Reg's- Just mention it to them. They shouldn't need revised drawings as they could just see the hip to gable as an infill so the new rafters would have already been sized up, etc... Your builder should be more than capable of proceeding but also bear in mind, they may have quoted for a hip roof originally so will this alteration affect their price?

I had to resubmit plans earlier this year, because of a roof covering material change that also caused a 3 inch height increase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back