Planning permissions for porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

We are looking to build a small brick porch at the front of our house, to match the building. It will come out less than 1m, will be smaller than 3 sq ms and we're away from the road.

As I understand we wouldn't need planning permission if we create an add-on to our house (i.e. the front door remains where it is and we add brick/an extra door in front). This is not what we want - basically we want to extend the hallway so the new front door is at the front of the porch. It'd be great if anyone knows if this changes permission requirements - any specific link references too would be ideal! Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
I am not a planner or expert!

According to the porches section of the planning portal it's permitted development as long as it meets the criteria
  1. the ground floor area (measured externally) would not exceed three square metres.
  2. no part would be more than three metres above ground level (height needs to be measured in the same way as for a house extension).
  3. no part of the porch would be within two metres of any boundary of the dwellinghouse and the highway.
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/46/porches

The only mention of removing a front door is you will need to adhere to building regs/ it wont be exempt.

For a porch to be exempt from building regulations approval:

• the front entrance door between the existing house and the new porch must remain in place
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/46/porches/2

I read that as, as long as you meet the PD reqs, it's just building regs to satisfy.

Wonder if my interpretation is correct

Thanks jacko555 this is really helpful - thanks for the link and quotes too. Looks like we would need permission if we want to get rid of the original front door.

Looks like we would need permission if we want to get rid of the original front door
I don't think you need permission to change your front door/get a new one (unless in a conservation area).
You'd only need (if proceeding with the porch as a new front door) to make sure building regs are applied for. Make sure whoever does the work will do this on your behalf.

Planning and building control are different. Building control makes sure it meets safety and thermal rules. Don't think planning applies in your situation.

Sponsored Links
The porch will still be permitted development, but you will also need building regulation approval for the porch - which will be treated as an extension.

as others have said -you need building regs.

I guess you need full building regs, with inspections including foundations -but could be wrong

the key for your construction is it needs to comply with part L -ie insulated.

building regs cant be done retrospectively -it needs the inspections during the build

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back