Planning - supporting statements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many of the pro's here include supporting statements (covering letters) on their applications, highlighting features of your design that you want noted?

Or do you let your plans do the talking and rely on the diligence of the case officer to notice things?

Sponsored Links
I usually do one, though as a report rather than a covering letter - the content is aimed at making it abundantly clear how the proposal meets the relevant policies and if not why it should be approved anyway and if relevant justifying the design.

+1 I like to put it in the design and access statement. It is usually just a load of meaningless bullshit but it makes the planners feel appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I'm about to put one in for my extension and I suspect it's going to be contentious due to exceeding the 50% greenbelt rule (not that 50% is actually mentioned in the policy)

There are a number of mitigation factors that I'd like to get on paper especially if it ends up at appeal.

Around here I only see 1 in 20 apps with a supporting statement, so it's good to know the planners will take one in right spirit.

Well if they bother read it is another matter altogether! More than once they've queried something or other (often the area % increase) only for me to say they already have it in the statement.

I'm a punter rather than a pro, but have just got planning for an extension in the greenbelt. The uplift to original was 40% (in this area 35% is deemed the max), and my view is that a well argued supporting statement was the difference between a refusal and an approval (AFAIU the case officer was initially considering recommending a refusal).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back