METHOD STATEMENT

D

DAJ

Following recent posts regarding removing an external supporting wall, I have worked out how I'm going to do the job. I've purchased towers, acros and strong boys.

I have recently had the calcs done by a structual engineer (told me what I already intended to do) and ordered the steel. The thing is, on the drawings from the engineer it says "method statement to be provided by the person/builder carrying out the works, at least 5 days prior the start of works as specified". The engineer is always out of his office when I call but I've been told i will have to pay another £110 for the method statement and another £180 on top of that for building regulations. If this is the case, then so be it, but I reckon I'm being taken for a mug. ANY THOUGHTS GUYS?

Also any advice on the best way of lifting a 3.5 mtr. RJS (8") from floor to ceiling height or the manpower needed. My intention was to lay the beam against the wall prior to the acros going up, thus sandwiching the beam between the wall and acros.

Sponsored Links
If this is your own house, then you don't provide method statements to anyone.

The engineer has just used a standard form which he normally uses for builders when he is managing the work.

For the beam, two can lift it. Prepare the bearings and opening, get it up on to trestles, have a rest and then lift it straight up and in .... don't be messing around holding it or jigging it about

If this is your own house, then you don't provide method statements to anyone.

The engineer has just used a standard form which he normally uses for builders when he is managing the work.

For the beam, two can lift it. Prepare the bearings and opening, get it up on to trestles, have a rest and then lift it straight up and in .... don't be messing around holding it or jigging it about

Cheers Woody. the thing is the comments were written by hand on a drawing and were amoungst 4 points listed. the other 3 were simply to support excisting brickwork, use engineer bricks as padstones and leave for 3 days before removeing props/acros. Who would the statement be given to anyway and why?

A method statement is a modern day useless piece of paper used to tell an employer how a contractor will go about doing things, and satisfies some or other HSE legislation . Hopefully it will detail that the work will be done safely, and the employer then just files it away as a little bit of protection against claims if things go belly up.

Lets forget for a moment that most companies have a generic statement which the clerk has typed up 10 years ago and all they do is change the address. Other companies will produce a 50 page booklet of nonsense ... but it looks good

The engineers is not employing you so he has no requirement for a statement

Sponsored Links
A method statement is a modern day useless piece of paper used to tell an employer how a contractor will go about doing things, and satisfies some or other HSE legislation . Hopefully it will detail that the work will be done safely, and the employer then just files it away as a little bit of protection against claims if things go belly up.

Lets forget for a moment that most companies have a generic statement which the clerk has typed up 10 years ago and all they do is change the address. Other companies will produce a 50 page booklet of nonsense ... but it looks good

The engineers is not employing you so he has no requirement for a statement

Sounds good to me Woody! I guess my assumption was correct, the engineer firm was just trying to get a few more pennys, quite a few, out of me. Presumably I don't need the engineer for building regs either, it's a straightforward removal of brickwork below the beam once erected and making good. Do I need to inform the local council prior, during and/or after the work starts?

Presumably I don't need the engineer for building regs either, it's a straightforward removal of brickwork below the beam once erected and making good. Do I need to inform the local council prior, during and/or after the work starts?

You don't need the engineer for the building regs, no. For the work you intend to do you will be fine submitting a Building Notice to your Local Authority Building Control department at the council - do this before you start work. Be sure to include the Structural Engineers calcs on the application. Charges vary amongst Authorities but expect it to be in the region of £150.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back