Method Statement of Works

There are only two ways a PW surveyor can stop acting - death, or declaring himself incapable.

If you just decide to go ahead regardless, then the surveyor can try and sue you, but this can be very difficult for him as no contract exists in PW work ... unless you have signed something with some really specific terms.

Whether the neighbour seeks an injunction, is something you will have to weigh up

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody. I didn't reply for a little while as I've been reading up about the matter.

Basically you are correct, the appointed surveyor can now only be unappointed if I kill him :LOL:

The award drawn up is a legally binding contract, so if I don't bide by it I could be taken to court. However my understanding is that the surveyor cannot do this, only the other owner can do this because my contract is actually with him.

It would only be worth the neighbour doing this if me breaking the terms of the award actually caused them some tangible and calculable loss or inconvenience.

Anyway, I'm hoping it will never get to that sort of situation and shouldn't really on a straightforward job like this.

I've read through the RICS guidelines on the PWA. Basically there are no hard and fast rules about the format the award should take. However it does mention that a method statement will often be provided by the surveyor which will outline how and when the work can take place.

So my surveyor has asked me to provide the method statement instead. I can look at this in one of three ways ie

1) My surveyor is a lazy bugger who wants me to do all the work or

2) Since the surveyor hasn't laid down the rules yet it gives me more flexibility in putting these forward

3) I've agreed to an award that gives the surveyor unlimited power, ie he needs to agree my method statement, what if he doesn't??

Assuming the best of people and not being paranoid leaves me with option 2) :LOL:

So, I need to put together a method statement and offer it to the surveyor. I'd like to keep it as vague as possible so that it leaves me with maximum wiggle room.

As mentioned, it's a side extension that involves the demolition of my derelict detached garage and will come to within 1m of my neighbour's property.

Could anybody give me any pointers as to how I could format this method statement?

Many thanks

I sometimes have to provide method statements at work (I'm in IT) - the manager of the building we have offices in really likes paperwork :rolleyes: Our sales guy has some fairly standard stuff he just rattles off when asked, but I'm really tempted to offer the following as a method statement :

"The staff will use their knowledge and experience to identify the work to be done and safe methods of work so as to minimise risk to themselves and others".

Somehow, I suspect it might not go down too well - but in reality it sums up what most of us do most of the time. Most of the people asking for it don't really care - they just need it to cover their own backsides.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back