Build Over Agreement with Southern Water

The wiring is wrong. If the builder is self certifying that then I would be additionally concerned.
I wondered about the wiring below the window opening -the horizontal doesnt look like its in a safe zone. The OP should post in electrics -there would soon be 10 pages of argument, quoting BS.... yada yada :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
I think the first fix electrics is the least of his problems, that can be easily re-routed if necessary although I assume the cabling will be behind kitchen units, but electrics really isn't my thing. He needs to focus on that old drain and how the new kitchen drain is connected to the non-existent manhole under the floor.

It would appear that the external ground level is very high but the only way to check the bridging to the drain is to dig down to expose it.

Woody, I spoke to the builder this evening and he asked me on what basis am I judging the amount of works done. I told him it’s obvious just by looking at the place!
I wonder if you would be better off instructing a building surveyor.

The surveyor could not only do your foundation detail and help with the build over agreement, but he could advise on everything else about the work including permissions, drawings, processes, building control inspections, payments, costs, quality - everything really.

Your previous post mentioned that the builder recommended a specific building control officer, in which case that implies a private inspector, not the council's inspector. This, in turn, could imply that the builder and inspector are friends, in which case the inspections may be lenient in the builder's favour.

Again, a surveyor would be able to advise on this.

Cost wise, you need to come to some arrangement with the builder for him to pay for all your additional expenses which are directly related and caused by his work and his failures.

Sponsored Links
This sounds awful, we had issues with our builder but luckily we had a very good architect who focused on resolutions and reassured is of how it would go. I had sleepless nights in case the builder walked off, but all the major remedial works were done in the end, and the final result was alright but not as it should have been.
I think the consensus is right, concentrate on the foundation and drainage issues and try to get all the paper work sorted out. The electrics is minor in comparison.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back