Method Statement of Works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately I had to have a Party Wall Agreement drawn up for planned building works. (I don't begrudge a professional's right to earn money but this does seem like a licence to print the stuff! :LOL: )

Anyway, in the PWA award the surveyor (chosen by me and agreed by my good neighbour) has asked for three things prior to work starting.

1) BR drawings.

2) Proof of builder having full risks insurance.

3) Method statement of works.

I'm a little confused about what this method statement should contain. The BR drawings clearly show the foundations, drainage connections and specs for all the walls, roof etc.

So what exactly should there be in a method statement?

(The proposed works is a fairly large double storey side extension that still leaves one metre between my property and the neighbour)

Many thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
First of all, Indus, why did you bother??

Here is an equation to learn;

PWA = ££££££.

Woody might correct me here (he usually tries to as a matter of principle anyway) but from memory, I think only the drawings and brief description are necessary.
I've done a few of these where clients have invoked the Act, and the surveyors have only asked for drawings, not insurance or method statements. I'm sure these things are only asked for to bump the cost up.

How do you know your footings will be deeper than those of the neighbouring property?

Tony, it was probably a mistake on my part to bother with it. It is a large extension and the neighbour wasn't happy to just sign the PWA form and wanted a surveyor appointed. I get on very well with my neighbour and wanted to keep it that way.

I have no idea whether my foundations will be deeper as I don't know the depth of theirs, but in truth they probably will be as BR seem to increase requirements year on year

The surveyor has done bugger all really and I'm already down £1000, he also comes across as somebody who is only interested in his fee. But I am where I am now and so have to deal with it. What would be interesting to know is where I stand should I decide to tell him to bugger off at some point.

On top of the £1000 he has already charged there is £100+vat charge per hour for anything else that 'requires his consideration'. I don't intend to pay a penny more and so if he tries to stick his nose in anywhere I'd like to know where I stand if I just crack on and ignore him.

Any works I do will be to a very good standard, fully BR compliant and no corners cut. So should he try and get involved and charge more can I just crack on and tell everybody concerned to see me in court if they have a problem?

Back to the method statement issue. It seems really quite silly, but he has asked for it so I suppose I need to provide something??

Thanks as always

Thanks again

A method statement from the builder or owner is not required as this is a domestic contact. Likewise for insurance.

I would have thought that the surveyor will include details of how work is to proceed as part of his job preparing the award, as there may be no builder even selected and the building owner can't be expected to prepare a method statement

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody.

As mentioned I don't have an issue with professional's charging for their qualifications and expertise, but this guy has really done nothing but a cut and paste job for his £1000.

So no he hasn't put forward how the works should proceed. As well as a method statement he has asked for a 'programme of works'.

Tbh on a project like this I'm not even sure what a programme of works means. I mean you dig foundations, put up the walls and then put a roof on top don't you?? What else is there?

Tell your surveyor that his requests are superfluous to this type of work, and he needs to rethink his own methodology, as you won't be providing them.

Your surveyor clearly wants you to pay him for telling you to do all the work.

Thanks.

As ridiculous as the whole thing is perhaps I should provide something for the programme of works? Just so that I don't upset the whole process before we even start. After that I'll keep the surveyor at arms length and if he makes other unnecessary requests I'll ignore him.

Could somebody give me a rough framework for how a programme of works should read for a side extension?

Many thanks

Weeks 1&2; Site clearance, found's in and built up to damp.

Week 3; Drains

Weeks 4&5; Built up to roof wall plate with first floor joists fitted.

Weeks 6&7; Roof on.

Weeks 8&9; Roof tiled in (weathered), windows in.

Week 10; Knock through sorted.

Weeks 11&12: Studs up, casings in, first fix plumb and leccy.

Weeks 13&14; Boarded and plastered out, skirts, window boards, doors archies fitted.

Weeks 15&16; Second fix plumb and leccy and final decor i.e. bath and kitch.

Weather permitting of course!

Thanks Noseall.

What a complete waste of time isn't it? Isn't it completely obvious that you would build an extension like that, I'm hardly going to start with the roof first am I? So the surveyor wants me to just state the obvious...

Thanks for showing me that, I'll copy and paste it and send it to the surveyor.

Regards

I think nose has given a programme or "plan of work"

A method statement will actually state how you are going to do the various tasks. It will say something like

Foundation trenches
The existing paving slabs will be taken up by hand, using picks and shovels and wheeled on a sack truck to the top of the garden and neatly stacked, and then covered up for later re-use. Mortar will be dressed with a lump hammer and chisel and bagged up for removal off site

The trench will be marked out with a line and level. The location of any services will be determined using (name of device) and clearly marked out before excavation begins

The trench will be dug by a mini-excavator (name, model and capacity), with some tidying up done by hand with a shovel and fork. All spoil will be removed off site by barrow to a builders skip located on the front driveway.

Plastic barriers will be used to prevent persons getting too close to the trench, and moved as work progresses.

etc.

Its a detailed "method" of how the work is going to be done.

The problem you have is if you give something to the surveyor, and its not good enough, then you will be expected to provided something better.

How the surveyor can expect you to provide a method statement is beyond me. It's his job to devise a way of doing the work that has as little disruption to both parties as possible. His job, not yours

Thanks Woody.

He has asked for both a method statement and programme of works. The latter is covered by what Noseall has kindly outlined.

However I'm pretty sure my builder (who I like and trust) has never provided a detailed method statement and of course neither have I.

If I ask the surveyor to provide one I'm sure he'll view it as an excuse to charge me another £500 for a copy and paste job. Over the years I've become friendly with my builder, my agent and even the local planning officers and BR officers. This surveyor however I have established no rapport with at all, he just seems like a money grabber.

Anyway, how do you think I should proceed? Shall I send him the BR drawings, programme of works and insurance proof and then just crack on?

What power does he actually have over me? What can he do if I don't comply with his every whim and fancy?

Thanks again

You need to sort something out with this surveyor, as the Act does not allow for him to be "unappointed".

If he is from a firm there may be options to complain, but you still can't ask for another person. You could refer him the the RICS party wall guides if he is a member.

But I would suspect that if you tell him that you wont be giving him some of the unnecessary stuff he has asked for, and will press on with the work regardless and not pay him, then he may be more accommodating

If this is straightforward building work and bearing in mind he is acting as an agreed surveyor for both parties, then this should be basic stuff and no need for any protracted nonsense

Hi Woody

When you said 'the act does not allow for him to be unappointed' did you mean even if I get fed up with him I can't effectively 'sack him'?

In which case lets assume that he starts sticking his oar in to rack up his fee further aand I ignore him and just carry on with my work. What can he actually do? Can I be prosecuted for anything or is the worst he can do be to advice my neighbour to obtain a court injunction to suspend works?

Don't get me wrong, I have every intention to do everything by the book and do all the works safely and to a high standard. However I just want to know where I stand should I feel he is just finding reasons to rack up his fee.

Thanks again for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back