Planning to do my own plastering any tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, need some help and advice on doing my own painting in my loft, any advice?

Attachments

• plaster.jpg
    plaster.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 245
Sponsored Links
Here are a few of mine;
1. Visit theplasterersforum.com , English site loads of info and a shed load of banter
2. Check the dates on the bags that you buy as old plaster is a nightmare to use
3. Mix the plaster into water never the other way around
4. Get the first coat on sharpish and don't do too big a area that you are struggling to flatten
5. First coat in a loft (which is often warmer than elsewhere) will need to be flattened sharpish
6. If everything goes belly up, buy a sponge float and watch some videos on how to use one, it's a life saver when the plaster goes off too quick.
7.learn to use a speedskim plastering rule , you can flatten off large areas very quickly.
8. Buy a small cheap spray bottle for trowelling up , it's easier than using a brush a flicking water.
9. Never mix up plaster with dirty water , it will make the plaster go off too quick
10. Don't forget to let the plaster firm up before flattening or you will just be pushing the plaster around.

Mike

First, I'd recommend deciding whether you're plastering or painting

Sponsored Links
Probably this has all been resolved now; but I joined the B&Q club and some of the larger outlets do a basic intro to plastering ( it is free to members - and to become a member is free) I found this was very beneficial and noted one person must have attended several times to become very efficient. I did it once and would recommend it - but now in my 7th decade I just get in a plasterer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back