Planning to replaster small ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to replaster the ceiling of our small box room. Size approx 3mx4m. We are in the process of slowly doing it up, but the ceilings are in need of tidying up. The ceiling is currently covered in woodchip wall paper with thin strips of wood underneath which are in turn attached to the beams. The paper is coming away in places and I would like to replace it all with nice flat, neat alternative. I was just wondering how to do it.

Do I need to remove everything down to the beam and replace with plasterboard and then skim, or can I do it cheaper? I'm after the cheapest alternative at the moment (preferably with removing the horrid aged woodchip!).

Thanks
Welshgaz

Sponsored Links
Ideally you should take off the plaster and rip off the old laths, then reboard with plaster board and re skim. You could go over the existing ceiling with plaster board using longer screws and replaster. As long as the ceiling is level you should have no problems.

Ideally you should take off the plaster and rip off the old laths, then reboard with plaster board and re skim. You could go over the existing ceiling with plaster board using longer screws and replaster. As long as the ceiling is level you should have no problems.

I'm totally ne to the whole plastering thing, so let me go through what I think is how I do it!! Remove everything down to the beams, nail plaster board to the ceiling, tape the gaps between the board with some special tape then 'skim' the ceiling. How do I skim the ceiling, What do I need to buy? Is it easy to get an acceptable result? Roughly how much do you guess the project would cost given the size of 3x4m? I'm planning on doing it all myself.

Many thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
Taking old bedroom ceilings down is an extremely dirty business, don't underestimate the mess.

Take the paper off first and see what you've got. You may be able to patch the original ceiling and then skim that. However, ceilings aren't the ideal surface to practice on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back