Plant advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So I have turfed the end of my garden eventually even though the rest of the lawn needs replacing!

My question is what can I plant in the soil by the wall that I have left without turf? I need some plants/shrubs that can be planted now and look nice for the rest of the summer, relatively cheap, could take advantage of the wagon wheel to climb around although not important, winter durable and can resist kids footballs.

It will get a lot of sun but also some harsh wintery wind there.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Can I plant it this time of year? What should I plant either side, I presume you are meaning for the honeysuckle to climb the wheel?

If you go to the garden center, it will be potted & you can plant any potted plant at any time.

Sponsored Links
In my opinion honey suckle is a poor choice as a stand alone plant because its merely a tangle of dead looking sticks in winter. Its lovely when growing amongst other plants but not my preference when you have such limited space.

Its a trade off really. Evergreens don't flower as spectacularly generally speaking but then they have colour all year.

Pyracantha is my favourite evergreen climber and is tough but is spiky. It also grows slower than honey suckle or vigourous clematis varieties such as montana (again dead sticks in winter)

English ivy is evergreen and will grow quicker too.

Shrub wise perhaps foliage colour variations rather than flowering would work.

Prostrate junipers, lonicera pileata, brachyglottis, any laurel variety are all super tough and will deal with the probably dry condition at the bottom of a large wall.

Pyracantha would be my choice, but if you have kids in the garden the last thing you want is for them to fall into it.

Andy

Thanks all. The missus just went to the garden centre in the end and just asked for 4 winter hardy shrubs which are all neatly planted in a row now, not sure what they are called mind, hopefully they will grow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back