Laying a lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying a lawn, where I used to have garden.

The soil is very old, compressed and full of roots from the plants/shrubs I have ripped out. I have taken as many rooty bits out as possible.

Should I dump some new topsoil/sand on top before I lay the turf?

Mick

Sponsored Links
Probably no need to add anything then. The surface needs to be loosened so you can rake out stones and rake in the seed, or the turf can root easily. If it was me I would dig it over and level, but it then takes months to settle again. keep a pile of dry earth handy so you can sift it into any hollows or depressions. If you are using seed you can use a very thin scattering of grit and peat on top. Birds don't eat seeds they can't see.

BTW you can spray it with weedkiller up to the day the seed starts to sprout.

If the surface is not flat and level, fix it now. It will be a hundred times more work once the lawn is growing.

Sponsored Links
Just dug it over a bit to get bigger roots out and level. Will walk over to compress and rake I guess.

Going to turf because want to use asap. Do I need to weedkill?

Planning on having weedproof borders? Membrane then wood/gravel??

Mick

weedkiller is less important if you are turfing, unless you see strong perennials.

A lawnmower.

Regular cutting will kill most plants

You can use Verdone or another hormone treatment for lawns once it is a year old, to kill broad-leafed weeds. Read and follow the instructions.

"Regular cutting will kill most plants"

Rubbish.

I want to kill these bulbs before I plant the lawn, not have to mow them every year.

"every"??????

How do you think the plant makes a new bulb?

They propagate by creating smaller offset bulbs and seeds.

Same as my crocuses in my other lawn which I have to mow every year.........

This soil is proving difficult to break up, should I keep working it?

I was wondering if a layer of sand might make it easier to level?

Do you mean its dug over and the soil is stuck together in large lumps or do you mean its a solid layer you cant loosen?

If its a solid layer you need to rotovate the lot and break up the ground.

If its in large clumps you need to start whacking them with a fork and raking raking and raking. Or you can use a rotovator to do this for you.

Adding coarse grit sand or very fine stone (3mm and less) is always a good idea with lawns to improve drainage.

You need to do the above in a dry spell of at least a couple of days as it wont really break up to a fine texture if the weather is wet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back