plaster and skin conservatory ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i wouldlike some advice on insulating my conservatory roof it has 25 mm polycarbonate on the exterior
i have had a good size radiator added from the existing central heating but the temperature stil drops in winter..

someone has suggested to borad and skim the celing, as this will help with it getting cold in the winter and keeping it cooler in the summer

has anyone ever done this and have any pointers on the best way to go about it?
cheers

Sponsored Links
The biggest problem you’re going to have is supporting the plasterboards which aren’t exactly lightweight! You can’t just hang them off the poly roof so you will have to make up some sort of suspended ceiling & if the cons. is of any size the weight of suitable sized timber will add to the problem. Difficult to say without seeing the cons roof but it’s very unlikely it will be designed to support this extra weight so you probably won’t be able to support it that way. If your cons. is a ring beam design (a sort of support beam around the outside) to support the roof, you may be able to support from that but, again, the design may not be strong enough to accept the extra weight. A lightweight suspended ceiling similar to the sort they have in offices would be ideal but obviously more expensive.

kinda defeats the object of having a conny in the first place.

surely it would be wiser and more efficient to build an extension?

thanks richard c

conny has been built now and has been for 3 years but it is now being used as a permenant dining room so need to keep it at room temp all year round ,
i have seen light weight foam centre type of insulated boards would these be suitable to use as they are far lighter than plasterboard?

or other have suggested they have used cork or polysterene tiles? but what about condensation ?

Sponsored Links
gonna try sealing the beams with waterproof sealer to stop all draughts then board the whole celing with light weight foam boards them a thin skim of plaster- will post to let you know the outcome

theres a chap on ebay that says he can do this but id like to know how as i wouldn't mind doing it if it works anyone got sum advise how to support the roof and how to screw the board etc

If the roof isn't 75% transparent it isn't even a conservatory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back