Plaster board or aqua board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spent the weekend attaching new plaster board ceilings. Interesting job when using 2.4 sheets. All in all, it looks very good, so chuffed.

I knocked out one of the bathroom internal walls, and have replaced this with stud frame to hold the new plumbing, but just want to make sure I use the right plaster board for a bathroom. Must I use aqua board for a bathroom ceiling and on the inside of this stud wall? I will be skimming and painting the ceiling and tiling the internal wall. Also, should I use aqua baod on the other side of this stud wall, just incase there is the slightest chance that moisture penetrated?

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
These boards are porous to a degree and will let water pass through, obviously without falling apart or swelling up like plasterboard or timber would. Use them around wet areas where the wall might get splashed (such as bath or sink) but moisture resistant plasterboard will be fine in the other areas and on the ceiling.
...and if you are expecting water penetration then it sounds like you are planning to fail, take your time, do it right and it won't be an issue.

Absolutely no need to use aqua board on the bathroom ceiling. The stud wall might need it though, but only if its along the side of the bath or shower.

Sorry, I may have been a little confused. Should I be using aqua board or water resistant plaster board or is there no deif between the two?

Sponsored Links
MR plasterboard is water resistant plasterboard, better for humid and damp areas than standard PB but will still fall apart after a soaking.
Aquapanel, , hardibacker etc are made from cement, and as such can be completed drenched, left submerged etc and will just dry out with no ill effects. As mentioned though, they will pass moisture through.
Aquaboard is supposedly made from gypsum (plaster) with the waterproof properties of the above, and can be used in the same way.

Some prefer to use wbp plywood, but the price difference is negligible so I'd always choose the cement product.

Thanks for the explanation Deluks.

Can I assume that the cement based boards can be cut and screwed just as normal plaster board?

Thanks for the explanation Deluks.

Can I assume that the cement based boards can be cut and screwed just as normal plaster board?

Yep, they are harder to cut though, an old handsaw or a jigsaw ideal. Outside if poss.

The cement based boards usually have to be fixed using special screws. I know that aqua panel boards have to be fixed using these.
But the good thing about cement based boards is, if your tiling them after, there's usually no need to skim them completely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back