plaster boards right way round?

Sponsored Links
Has it ever been practice to skim the brown side? Or did I just read some duff info?

Before Multi came out (late 80s?), it used to be the practice to use board finish on the brown side and decorate (tape and joint) the ivory side. Multi was lauded as a finish that could work on both side of the board.

For years you had to get tech sheets out to convince site agents/builders that you could skim the ivory side( they wouldn't believe what was written on the bag!)

Then it became accepted that you could skim the white side and it became easier to always tack with white side out as it covered all eventualities, so that became the norm

But never ever have I seen any finish to come off the brown side of boards. try it with an off cut of each!

cheers micilin, guess the info wasn't completely wrong then!

I intended to do a little practice ceiling in the garage anyway so think I will try it half and half to see how it comes out.

If it all falls off the brown side guess I'll be changing them all :LOL: but going with the opinions on here sounds like it should be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back