plaster boards which way out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi ,I just stuck two plaster boards to one end of my newly built conservatory with brown side out,I will be skimming the boards and now Iam thinking the boards are facing the wrong way,would this cause a problem , and shall I do the other end and dwarf wall the correct way,perhaps the highly rated noseall can help me , thank you

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you’ve put them up the wrong way around! In practice, it probably won’t make much difference if you’re skimming but your plasterer probably won’t be happy.

A small piece of advice; I have no idea what, if anything, you have against noseall; if you made a genuine mistake, you at least owe him an apology but I would lighten a bit on the sarcasm as it won’t do you any favours here!

hi ,So i did put them up the wrong way:(,I will be doing the skimming so no worries about a plasterer , hmmm not sure where your coming from about apoligising to noseall for a genuine comment I made about a few folks in here about being know alls,Its just that i spelt it the way I speak it, I do aplogise for him having a name the same as I put in my 1st post but wasnt actualy refering to him so no aplogy needed : as for your comment about I wont get a lot of favours in here with my attitude \this site isnt the be all and end all richard,life before diynot.com and life after,:) taly ho

a lot of boards are sold with the words, 'plaster other side only'. this is printed on the non ivory side, obviously.

in the old days we used to plaster the brown side and decorate the ivory side. but i guess things have changed.

i wouldn't go ripping off the boards though, as i know a fella who has recently skimmed a 4m x 5m the wrong side with no ill effects. this particular ceiling has since been painted and has shown no prob's whatsoever. ;)

Sponsored Links
ok thanks noseall,the writing is on the brown side which I always thought was always shown before plasteres skimmed , tampered edge does seem more brown side up ,I wondered if that was for taping and decorating side and the light grey side for skimming,anyway I pretty sure if its taped up properly it a be ok to skim,and i do apoligise about my comment earlier it was not directed at you at all me and my big mouth :)

fastneattrowel said:
hi ,I just stuck two plaster boards to one end of my newly built conservatory with brown side out,I will be skimming the boards and now Iam thinking the boards are facing the wrong way,would this cause a problem , and shall I do the other end and dwarf wall the correct way,perhaps the highly rated noseall can help me , thank you[

seal with unibond if unsure

/quote]

I skimmed two walls this week where a muppet (not a dig at you fastneattrowel - this guy puts stud walls up for a living and should know better but he cut them all the wrong way round) had put every one of them up back to front with the brown side facing out.

The only difference I noticed was that the finishing skim didn't adhere to the boards as well as usual and the plaster went off faster than usual but the end result seems to be the same.

I'm going back next week to do another job in the same house so will check on it then.

Regards

Fred.

Oh, one other thing, when I say he cut them the wrong way round, I still couldn't understand why he put them up the wrong way. FFS, the two walls were a mirror image of each other so I don't see why he couldn't have just swapped the boards intended for wall 1 onto wall 2 and vice versa. When I pointed this out to him I was greeted with a dumb blank look.

you learn something every day..

I was told on site a few years back that the white side was for tape 'n' jointing and the brown side was for skimming..

just as well I dropped in as I will be putting some up tomorrow in the kitchen..

would you still use tapered edge boards if you're skimming or just if tape 'n' jointing ( do I still need skrim tape? )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back