plaster boards right way round?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently re boarded my ceiling, after getting tips from internet forums etc I put the boards up brown side facing out over as this is supposed to be better for plastering.

Was feeling very pleased with myself while looking up at my new flat ceiling ready to be plastered until I noticed in big black print "plaster other side only" Doh.... So the question is am i going to have to take all the boards down and start again? or is it actually possible to plaster them as they are? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Pete.

Sponsored Links
Plaster boards are manufactured in such a way that the paper covering completely wraps the ivory side and is lapped at the back (grey side). This exposed join may bubble or separate when wetted with fresh plaster.

I also believe that the ivory side is better equipped to deal with suction and provides a moderate and predictable surface on which to plaster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the quick response, if that's the case think I'll go with the PVA as it was such a hassle getting the boards up in the first place really don't wanna have to take em down and start again. At least I know better for next time (must remember to read the print before fitting).

Cheers,
Pete.

Give the p/board a coat of PVA to seal it, let it dry, then, say tomorrow or whenever,, PVA it again, then skim it while wet/tacky.

So we're all agreed then! Thank the lord for that. Think its probably time I quit the DIY business and get some pros in next time :LOL:

So we're all agreed then! Thank the lord for that. Think its probably time I quit the DIY business and get some pros in next time :LOL:

It's good practice and experience for you to do it Pete. Not many tackle plastering. ;)

I've never seen it fall off , often skimmed the brown side where the builder/tacker made a cock up with entire wall or one board in a wall, either by mistake, or because they half remember the brown side being the right side.

The only boards I've had trouble with are the suction on blue soundblocks, especially knaufs.

Just thought I'd throw that in!!!!!!!11111

haha i know, its just a bit dis-heartening when you make daft mistakes like that lol. Good job there's places like this to come to when it all goes pair shaped.

Thanks again for the good advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back