waterproof board for plastering ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all.
Looking for a solution to a problem I have. I am looking to board my garage roof. At the moment it has a exposed asbestos corrugated sheeting roof and exposed rafters. I want to Make the back room in the garage a small gym and put up a ceiling which will be plastered with downlights. It gets damp due to the type of roof so I need something that will withstand. I can put the ceiling up plaster and electrics no problem. All I need is something to plaster onto. I was thinking of aqua board but I don't know if plaster will hold.

Anyone got a solution?[/b]

Sponsored Links
Forget the electrics I have dealt with water ingress. Just concentrate on the plastering issues please

Forget the electrics I have dealt with water ingress. Just concentrate on the plastering issues please
You stated you have damp issues due to the roof construction, so I assumed there was still an issue with damp, the problem downlights within voids in areas of damp is you are going to have potential issues with any terminals or enclosures that are not correctly IP rated for any influences that may be offered to them. It is a legal requirement that electrical installation are designed, installed and when in use are safe!
If you have no water ingress, a standard plasterboard would be adequate!

Sponsored Links
Not another home gym story. We all know what you are really building. :rolleyes:

It really is going to be a gym,honest! I gets damp as no heating. I am concerned that the damp will blow the board hence my post. Is there an alternative to plaster on other than board?

Take the asbestos sheets off felt and batten it then slate or tile it then put your plasterboard up. ;)

I take it no one has an answer :cry:

If you want know if you can plaster aquapanel? then the answer is Yes!
I have done it in many bathrooms where part of walls required tiles and parts required plastering, didn't want to use two types or boards so fully boarded with aquapanel, taped up joints and primed for good measure and skimmed as normal.

You can skim them but if damp is an issue why not finish them or at least the joints with sonmething like Rendaid, Weber Lac, Krend HPX, Perhaps even (I've not done this so advice needed) mastic the joints as you put each board up?

For a plush job, there ar eacrylic renders etc but for a gym the above would do.

Thanks for all of the comments. My preference is to skim and this seems like it is feasible and I will prime with unibond first so fingers crossed as long as no one had any horror stories......

No PVA in damp -used SBR or Bondit , WBA etc . Also damp will degrade skim, so make sure damp is no longer there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back