plaster ceilings or artex?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
getting all the ceilings done in my house, I've had a plasterer quote me to skim the ceilings and I've had an artexer come round who can skim the ceiling flat with artex.....I never knew you could artex a ceiling flat - which would be the better option? any ideas

thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Skim them, ask to see his flat artex ceiling. Take a pic if you can. Just to satisfy my own curiosity.

ask him if he can put some flat pollyripple on while hes at it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Artex was invented to make new builds cheaper for property developers & builders, hide a multitude of sins & bad boarding & to do away with the need for a skilled plasterer. I suspect it did a pretty good job of it back then but I wasn’t into it at the time.

We’ve gone full circle & patterned Artex is now about as fashionable as farting at your mother in laws Christmas dinner party :LOL: . I’ve never heard of skimming ceilings flat with Artex; it sounds like an out of work Artexer trying to drum up some business to me. If you have the skills & speed to plaster why on earth would you skim with Artex :eek: ; I would avoid it like the plague.

i have seen it used by one builder, very old skool, would put boards wrong way around to skim on them and ALWAYS nailed boards.

well as everyone has said stay away from trying to skim flat with artex just go with the plasterer who knows how to do the job properly and with the right material, youll also find its a better finish with plaster

I got the plasterer to skim them all, look really good,

I did get the coving/artex man round to do the coving and i was intigued. We were going to get the stairway artexed over the **** that was there with broken leather but I have told him to do it flat - just for my own curiosity...its only a small stairs landing area. I'll post a picture when he's done it :LOL:

thanks for the advice

I got the plasterer to skim them all, look really good,

I did get the coving/artex man round to do the coving and i was intigued. We were going to get the stairway artexed over the s**t that was there with broken leather but I have told him to do it flat - just for my own curiosity...its only a small stairs landing area.

I'll post a picture when he's done it :LOL:

Nice one Manny,,, it'll be worth seeing. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back