Plaster damp and damaged behind tiles in shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a few loose tiles in the shower so decided to remove them, I’ve now taken quite a lot off and all the plaster is damp and soggy.

Should I remove, re-plaster, use a tanking kit and re tile?

Or instead could I mount waterproof back board onto the brick work and tile straight onto it?

Or is this both overkill? And should I just replaster and re tile?

Sponsored Links
I’ve since removed the tiles to the left also

Attachments

• 190A5787-29C0-4E02-94B4-7DBC1B44DB15.jpeg
    190A5787-29C0-4E02-94B4-7DBC1B44DB15.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 212
Anyone? At a bit of a loss with the best option to go for to avoid it happening again.

I dunno, just guessing really, but I would say to do it properly you'd need to tank it. Looks very wet! Do you have another shower, so you can leave this to dry out and then assess it?

Sponsored Links
I can let it dry out yes. I was planning to rip it out and start again, just not sure if it plasterboard and tank or use a waterproof board like Kerdi board / Wedi board, as this says it doesn’t need tanking and can be tiled straight onto?

Not sure what’s best practice, or if there the same then what’s going to be easier?

Cheers

remove them all, let it dry. If its solid, then prime, tank and tile. If its not solid, youll need to replace. I would suggest that it's 50/50.

By the time its dry enough to do anything with you could have ripped it off and done a proper job. It could turn out its gone too far anyway , in which case you've wasted all that time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back