Plaster (?) fell off? Help ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post and newbie so please be patient :)

Tried to drill a hole to hang my curtain rail and managed to pull a bit of the wall off.

I'm not entirely sure what that, is that plaster? It's thick and feel fibery though feels like a fibre board so I don't think it's plaster.

The rest of the wall is what I consider "normal" just that bit on top is a bit weird like that. So it's a bit odd that the bottom of the wall is normal brick, plaster and paint while the top bit has a bit of plaster like the photo.

Can it be fixed? Any suggestion on what I should do? I've attached the photos here :)

Sponsored Links
Remove all loose plaster and as much dust from the area. It will need to be prepped with PVA.
Then fill out the deep damage with bonding, leaving it about 4-5mm lower than your current finished wall, then leave a short while to stiffen up. Not too long 15-20 mins, then the area can finished of using multi-plaster finish.
You could also consider using one coat plaster.

Thanks but do you know what is that originally? Is that a plaster or a drywall or just a filler (whatever that means).

It's not dry-wall.
Can't really tell 100% from photos, the walls look quite old, could well be a lime based plaster, that was often mixed with sand and horse hair, many moons ago. That's if you can see fibres/hair in the plaster or could be gypsum based undercoat.

Sponsored Links
Ah that make sense because I found hair there which rather odd when I first saw it.

Ah that make sense because I found hair there which rather odd when I first saw it.
It was a method used way back over a hundred years ago, but can still be done now by some traditional tradesmen.
But generally the basecoats now used are the gypsum type, such as browning and bonding etc...

Something like Polyfilla is the easiest for a DIYer. My guess is that you've hit a lintel.

A lintel? Hmm ... never thought about it. Perhaps when the house was built over 130 years ago. It is an old house.

Do you guys think I can still drill over on the side? I still like to put the curtain's up.

Will the old plaster hold the curtains?

I would have thought the lintel would have been wood, i suspect you have hit a hard stone which the render isn;t bonded to well.

What type of drill are you trying to use?

Just a Bosch hammer drill. I used a masonry drill bit though I really didn't expect the plaster (?) would be that thick.

When I knock it I thought that didn't feel like normal plaster, felt like knocking on wood or something soft. But it is on the wall so I thought if I drill deep enough I would hit the brick. That could be my mistake there ...

Bought Polyfilla and seems to work fine.

I have a follow up question, seeing the damage on that wall, is it possible for me to continue trying putting up the curtain rod?

Went to B&Q just then and got confused with the range of wall plug available. I think I need to use the "hollow" ones?

Not sure what to do here, anyone can suggest?

Its old lime/ horsehair plaster.
I'm afraid thats what happens and it will probably happen again.
I would first fit a 2x1 batten to the wall by drilling through to the brickwork, you may end up drilling quite a few holes to get a good fixing and you may find that even more plaster comes off or you may get lucky.
If you find that the plaster is coming down then chipit off back to the brick and then fix your batten to the brickwork patching in the p[lasterwork after you have finished.
I'm sorry one of the hazards of an old house.

This plaster is very deep, probably around 2 inches. Is that normal for that type of plaster?

If I use a really long screws (not sure if I can find anything like that) will that work or you reckon the plaster will fall off.

Is you house brick built?? It could be stone and you could be between stones, hence it being 2" deep!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back