Plaster finish touch up help

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi guys, so I tried my hand at skim coating with gyproc skim Coat (Ireland’s equivalent to thistle multi finish I believe). Large sections are pretty decent.

While I’m sure there’s been worse first attempts than this one I do have blemishes and some scruffy spots that I failed to recognise early enough to spread plaster into. What are the options for filling or smoothing these out after
It’s set?

Please don’t tell me the only option is another skim coat done by someone really skilled in the art! I don’t need absolute perfection as it’s only an understairs wc but would like to improve some of these blemishes! See the pics

Attachments

• 71BEC5B1-E3F1-4B1D-99C3-D86713190644.jpeg
    71BEC5B1-E3F1-4B1D-99C3-D86713190644.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 217
  • E3D66A71-407B-45FC-9B56-965C0D353C7A.jpeg
    E3D66A71-407B-45FC-9B56-965C0D353C7A.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 222
  • EA4603F0-2C80-4E83-9B78-DC1B9A80599B.jpeg
    EA4603F0-2C80-4E83-9B78-DC1B9A80599B.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 224
Sponsored Links
Did you polish that skim at all? Doesn't look like you have

I'm struggling to see bits were there aren't blemishes

For the worst bits mix up some more skim and fill it in then get very busy with some sandpaper

Although you are correct that needs reskimming it would be easier to reskim then attempt to make what you have done look better

Did you practice on a scrap bit of plasterboard first?

i did try to polish yep, not all that successful! i only attached the bad spots, there are large sections that are very smooth that Id be happy with...but then there's the rest.

I didn't practice on a spare sheet. definitely a mistake. live and learn

fill with gyproc skimcoat or a joint compound or some other filler?

Sponsored Links
I know getting a plasterer is option 1 if I could find the cash (most of the reason for attempting myself)

what about easi-fill or knauf filler and some
Sanding? can mild success be found with this

I know getting a plasterer is option 1 if I could find the cash (most of the reason for attempting myself)

what about easi-fill or knauf filler and some
Sanding? can mild success be found with this
Sand down the obvious high spots first, some use Easyfill but Ive had great success with this.
lt sands down so easily185C647C-E9EC-4DA6-8DA1-185DC5A9638B.jpeg

Don't give up, it's doable. I managed to plaster half my living room. Sand and then fill and sand again.

Don't give up, it's doable. I managed to plaster half my living room. Sand and then fill and sand again.
so you plastered it filled it rubbed it back then filled it again then rubbed it back again . seriously?
get a plasterer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back