Plaster mix for around fireplace/stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lads need to plaster up where a fireplace came out.
Have a friend whose going to do the finish coat.
What mix should I use for this?(considering it will be exposed to heat as there is a stove there now) Also where fireback came out is quite sooty will this need to be spotless for scratchcoat?
Marty.

Sponsored Links
Before you go any further read these links;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211524
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224751
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=227100
Some are cross linked but you will get the main points. Basically you cant use Gypsum plaster or Gypsum based boards within 500mm either side or 800mm above the fire & not in the fire opening if you have a free standing stove. That also includes Fireline or any similar products which are still Gypsum based & designed for a one off fire exposure, not continual exposure to temperatures above 50 degrees C.

Cheers for that I take it sand cement fine so for scratch and first so?
Need to get cracking this eve!

Sponsored Links
I take it sand cement fine so for scratch and first so?
You need lime in the mix to withstand the heat better, I used scratch & float coats for the render base, make 2nd coat weaker & then heat proof finish plaster (expensive) over the top unless you want a rustic render finish.

Read the links, it's all in there including good advice from those more experienced than I. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back