Plaster - moisture in wall 15 months later

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we had our house refurbished just over 12 months ago and have had some trouble with mould growing on the back of our framed pictures.

They are now sat off the wall and backed in plastic, so hopefully no more problems.

However, when I used a moisture detector and push it into the wall and an opposite wall it's showing that the plaster still contains moisture.

Is this normal ?

Thanks, Nick

Sponsored Links
Mould is usually associated with condensation although sometimes it can be seen on surfaces with penetrating damp. Mould appearing behind the pictures definitely sounds like condensation.
What does refurbishment imply?
Have the walls in question been replastered?
Did you previously have damp problems?
Are these outside walls?

Moisture Meters need a bit of experience to use properly.

Is the wall in question an outside wall, and if it is, what's the wall like. Is it a ground floor room, or upper floor. If you go up and down the wall with the meter, do the readings stay the same, or change.

As Vinn says, it's more likely a condensation problem, so do you keep your windows closed, as this is one of the main causes of condensation

Thanks @Doggit and @vinn for your responses

The walls have been replastered. It's a ground floor dining room just off the kitchen. It's all open plan. The walls are internal.

I have only tested the wall behind the pics because I didn't want to put small holes in the walls. If I test the surface then there is no moisture unless I push the prongs into the plaster.

No problems with mould before and it was only behind the pictures.

Windows have been closed in the winter.

Would the plaster draw condensation into it?

Sponsored Links
With the windows being closed, you have a lack of ventilation issue. You've got a classic case of too much moisture in the air, and as there's no airflow behind the picture, it's a classic case for mold to appear. Use a mild bleach solution to clean the mold off the walls, open the windows and vent the place, and you'll be fine. The moisture meter is just picking up normal background moisture, but yes, there'll be a bit more where the windows are kept closed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back