plaster or C/H first

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
im really confused here. ive had my whole house totally stripped, inc. electrics & gas c/h.
i have now had my first fix of electrics done. now next step should i be getting my whole house plastered, painted, then the central heating installed??

with the central heating i need everything installed, boiler, pipes run under floorboards etc
im worried if i do plumbing and heating after plastering, it could crack spoil the plaster and paint. so which way round should things be done???

also can any1 advise when the skirting boards should be fitted, before or after the radiators are hung??

Sponsored Links
If it was me i would run all the pipes to where the rads are going to be then cap them off. Get it plastered, painted and skirting fixed. Hang the radiators last.

If you drill the holes for the pipes up before plastering (boarding) and getting skirting fixed then the holes will likely need to be moved or repositioned slightly.

To hang all the rads at the same height:

Place the rads on the floor siting as it would on the wall, put the bracket on to the rad while measuring up from the floor to the very top of the bracket then add 4 -8 inches depending on how high you want the radiators off the floor.

Mark that height onto the wall and fix the top of the bracket to the wall at that height.

Good Luck

if u plaster before running pipes under floordboards in between joists, can this cause cracking on the ceilings on new plaster. the only room where pipes are going to be buried in the wall is the bathroom, but this will then get tiled over. so should i get the whole house plastered first , then run all the c/h in one go??

Sponsored Links
Ask your Plumbers advice, he may prefer to do a "first fix" as well. Running all pipes under the floor etc and coming back later to mounts rads and commission system.

When I did this a few months ago, I ran the main flow and return in 22m to where the rad where to be hung. Boxed the pipes in that needed covering, plastered the whole house. Waiting for it to dry, hung all the rads and then joined from the rad tails to the main flow and return. Capped the pipes, tested for leaks, then put the boiler up, comissioned it and checked for leaks again. All joins for me where accessible.

I then fitted the skirting, and when I will decorate, I will drain the rads, take the rads off so I can paint behind the rads.

b21 would there be any disadvantages of plastering first, then painting , then running the c/h all in one fix?

Unless you are intending to use microbore in the walls, plaster first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back