First Fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im in the middle of an extension and sort of managing the project myself. The extension is a two story on side of house. My question is, when should i get the plumber in to do first fix? The sparky has done his and the joiner is starting to do his, however im not sure if he should lay the floor and put the plaster board on ceiling before i get the plumber in. The reason i ask is because my first idea was that the Central heating pipe would just run along behind the skirting board but now im not sure if that is best.

There is no water pipes etc just heating to do.

Sponsored Links
If the plumber uses copper pipe, then before the floor is down, so he can notch the joists.

If he uses plastic pipe then before the ceiling is up as he will drill the joists from underneath.

Sponsored Links
Don`t presume heating guy will use microbore. Most people won`t. You should be getting someone in before floors or ceilings are in place. What is the point of laying a new floor only for it to be taken up...Common sense

Well its not common sense, because that is why im asking the question, if microbore is going to go around the skirting then there is no need to lift the floor! The manifold is in the main part of the house anyway so when the floor gets lifted at that part does not matter.

Customers doing there own project managing don`t we just love them.

Lol, sorry if you dont quite understand what im getting at. Basically all i want to know is can i just get the plumber in when the floor and ceiling are in and just run the microbore around the skirting? Or do i need to get him in before joiner first fix? The main reason for asking is that the joiner can come before the plumber is available, however if i ask the joiner to wait until after the plumber has been he cant fit me in for a few more weeks after. And as you know yourself there is nothing worse than just having to leave a project standing!

All help is gratefully received (even if you do want to take the mick ;) )

When pro's give advise for free a certain amount of mick taking is obligatory I'm afraid.

You seem to have fallen into the trap of mis-managing the different trades; or of course somethnig c ocked up along the way as can often happen.

What G4Y and Fitz are saying you can do either. I would not personally use microbore for several reasons, some might consider them incorrect, but then they are entitled to their opinions.

1- Very restricitive and prone to blockages
2- Much longer pipes runs meaning more materials costs, more chances of leaks

Cheers Dan, the only reason i was going for microbore was because that is already in the house, so was just going to run them from the manifold. I have read before what you say about microbore and like you say other people think different.

Dan_Robinson said:
1- Very restricitive and prone to blockages
2- Much longer pipes runs meaning more materials costs, more chances of leaks

Do you have a clue about microbore :?:
Have you read the building and heating council booklet on microbore :?:
Do you know the recomended max length of pipe run for microbore :?:
More chances of leaks using less fittings :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This must be a first for you Dan :eek:
You usualy say"i don't know that boiler or can you post a picture or i've not fitted one of those :LOL:

How many microbore systems have you installed :?: ZILCH probably.

daveturnbull said:
Thank you for help, can microbore go behind skirting board or not?

correct me if im wrong pipes are not to be run behind skirting boards under current regs.

during acs im sure it was said no pipes behind skirters as someone could unwittingly drive a screw or nail through the pipes ect.

Helpful as ever VOTM - do you have nothing better to do with your life than try and poke holes in other people's (or mainly my) advise? Try posting an opion of your own that is helpful to the OP for once. Pr ick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back