First fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Quick question re new extension and first fix plumbing.

We are building a single story extension, with a sloped roof, there is a bathroom within this. I have fitted complete central heating systems before and quite comfortable with plumbing etc.

My questions is around where to run the pipes, are there any minimum requirements of heights etc. I think best place to run them is around the inside walls (50mm insulation also on inside so will cover well) builder suggested roof also an option, my concern is the roof could get very cold though of course insulated etc.

Is either fine?

Sponsored Links
There aren't any regulations concerning heights. The key things to consider are:

1. Run hot pipes above cold pipes, so the cold ones don't warm up.
2. Clip them properly at the recommended intervals.
3. Try to avoid any joins, other than soldered joints, in inaccessible places.
4. Pressure test everything that's going to be inaccessible before covering. Wet pressure testing is safer than dry, which can be dangerous.
5. Try to avoid places where later owners (or yourself in later years!) are likely to put nails / screws through the walls. If possible, use metal plates to cover where pipes run.
6. If running plastic pipe, wrap aluminium foil around it or run a long strip along it, so that metal detectors will still work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back