Plaster painted over while still wet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

We have a patch of damp on one of our walls, which we have been told has probably been caused by someone painting over the plaster before it was dry.

How do I rectify this? Do I remove the paint from the wall (how??) and simply repaint? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but never done anything other than paint over stuff before so grateful for some hand holding.

Sponsored Links
It isn't drying out, if anything it's getting worse. Does that mean maybe it's a different cause.

If it isnt drying out then the problem is something else. You need to identify where the source of the damp is coming from first. Where in the house is the damp patch? Is it against a bathroom wall or outside wall ?

Sponsored Links
It's against an outside wall. There's no obvious cause that I can see outside. It was a builder who told me that it didn't look like damp and he thought it was a result of the plaster being painted over before it had a chance to dry out.

Hello.

We have a patch of damp on one of our walls, which we have been told has probably been caused by someone painting over the plaster before it was dry.

How do I rectify this? Do I remove the paint from the wall (how??) and simply repaint? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but never done anything other than paint over stuff before so grateful for some hand holding.

If the paint was matt emulsion then there "shouldn't" be an issue. It will dry eventually, just open the windows to increase airflow, yep, I know it is getting cold out there but the moisture needs airflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back