Plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had our kitchen ceiling replastered and now it's been that it's painted, there are a couple of areas that look like oily patches underneath the paint. The plasterer has told us to paint over the offending areas with undercoat, (which we have done) then repaint over with the white emulsion that we painted the ceiling with, but these marks have reappeared, we have now done this process twice to no avail, any suggestions as to how to sort this problem?

Sponsored Links
were the patches there before the ceiling was reskimmed? try painting over the patches with gloss paint let it dry then emulsion over this might work.

No they weren't, it was artex that was skimmed over. If I try gloss, will emulsion work over that?

paul_round said:
No they weren't, it was artex that was skimmed over. If I try gloss, will emulsion work over that?

No it wont....you will have adhesion problems, try stain block instead, there are many brands on the market.

My theory, when you first mentioned 'oily' patches were marks caused if the plasterer polishes the surface to much making it impervious...if there were no stains before that could be the case...then again if it was totally obliterated and has bled thru thats another matter....

Try the stain block.....gloss over damp/bleeding walls is an old wives tale.

Sponsored Links
(wives tale) is that the same as using oil based undercoat to waterbased ?

Leejames said:
(wives tale) is that the same as using oil based undercoat to waterbased ?

I, probably like many decorators have used a bit of oil based unders slightly thinned as a sealer for water stains etc...

don't use the water based variety though, that wont work.

But using oil based gloss.....nah.....its a falacy, same as the idea that bare plaster walls should be primed with pva before painting....thats a builders 'thing'.....not a decorators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back