Plaster pulling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, i have been re-scimming an old house, limestone walls, with a lime based plaster over the top. i PVA'd the walls and ceilings on monday on tuesday i second coated them as i went along waiting for it to go tacky before skimming but i had serious problems with the paster pulling as i started toflatten off, this was before i evn got anywhere near to the final polish i was just leveling it. and it was still pliable. and I wasn't applying much pressure. Any ideas as to what is causing it. I pressume the paster is sliding on the pva. but not had this problem before.

Sponsored Links
is sliding on the pva.
are you saying the plaster was sliding as you trowel up?, was it bare plaster you was skimming on or a painted surface? if its a shiney painted surface the pva wouldent have been enough and you would have had no key it would have been like skimming on glass and a bonding agent would have been better to use

cheers for the replys guys, it was bare plaster. I stripped the walls back to the bare plaster, it was a bit wierd as the walls that had been painted, the paint scrapped off like it was wall paper, probably 5 or six coats of paint going back at least 60/70 years judging by the last coat. but yes was bare plaster.

Sponsored Links
i've never seen or heard of it happening on bare plaster unless maybe unless you missed parts of the wall with the pva preparation?

You need another coat of PVA and then another just before you start skimming. Skim whilst tacky. You must, however, get all the old flaky paint off. Try the mud-ball trick. Flick your mix at the wall. If it sticks you've got it right. If it goes 'splat' it's too runny. If it falls off - it's too dry. (Bet Roughcaster knows that one).

Cheers for the reply Steve, no parts were missed as I have dealt with similar walls in the past and with the type of plaster they used to use here, if you try and put wet plaster on it it will suck all moisture out of the new plaster in 5 seconds flat, so I am bloody carefull about not missing any with the PVA.

i still think steve has it on the head if you mixed the pva too thick or applyd too many coats as soon as you put your plaster over the top it will liven the glue right up and when you try to flatten it it will still slip. you have to get the pva'in just right i.e not enough and itll suck like a muther too much and itll be slip slideing around like your at aquasplash

If you don't get the mix consistency right it matters not what you do with PVA. Flick it - see if it sticks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back