Plaster/rendering inside lean-to conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a fairly solid double glazed 'lean-to' style conservatory (with thermo plastic roof) which has a door into it from the house (which i am opening up into french doors). It is plastic and double glazing on 2 sides, with two brick walls (which used to be the outside of the house.

The brick walls are rendered and painted from before the conservatory existed, but i am trying to blend the conservatory in with the internal room.
The aim is for these walls to look like the internal walls that they are now rather than the cold rough external render and external paint.

My sister works at an architect's practice and and asked a few questions for me, but they said that the problem i would have in plastering is that the dot and dab to put plasterboard over the walls would not last due to the cold - and the same issue with the skim. They therefore just suggested painting it :(

If any anyone has any other opinions on what i could do it would be much appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Kev.

Sponsored Links
Instead of using dot and dab, could you not use timber battens to strap the walls, insulate, and then fix/screw on some foil backed plasterboard,, then tape the joints etc,, plus get some heat put into the "room".

Roughcaster.

Hi roughcaster,
What's the thinnest battening that u think i can get away with? (it's only a 1.6m long wall) it's just that that the UPVC window frames butt right up against the wall.

If you're really that tight for space, you can get foam plasterboard adhesive from "pink grip" or similar. Apply it to the back of the sheet/s, and press it into position onto the wall. That would be about the thinnest way to do the job, apart from skimming over the original painted render,,, after prep. I know people who have a conservatory, and have plastered (float and set), the gable wall with no problems. As i said earlier, a little heat in the room on cold days would help.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
If the wall is fairly flat, a trick I’ve used when short on depth to batten in the odd porch is to fix foil back PB directly to the wall using through fixings; fill the heads, tape the joins & skim as usual. Or, if uneven, you could D&D (or Gripfix) to fix initially &, again, use through fixings to provide a permanent mechanical anchor for the boards.

cheers fellas,

might take the old render off and try float and set first, see how it goes - if not just grip and screw boards...

might take the old render off and try float and set first, see how it goes - if not just grip and screw boards...

If you've had a go at plastering before and feel reasonably confident - then I'd have a go.

Had a go at my first float & set from advice on the forum-
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=167671

If you're not quite so confident then I would imagine the boards approach will give you a flatter base for skimming.

The choice is yours.....

Of course you could always have a go and try for the shorter of the walls first. If it doesn't work as well as you expect, overboard & cover your non-optimum results ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back