Plaster smooth or no?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so I stripped the wall paper and backing paper off of a feature wall, behind it I find rough plaster stuff that is dark brown. I thought it was supposed to be smooth? Looks like it has been skimmed with a brush...

Can I paint on this or do I have to sand it down?

My Dulux paint had lots of old hard flaky paint in it from the lid, is there anything I can do about that? Still half a tub left.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As a rule, you're not supposed to sand down unpainted plaster. Furthermore, it would take you a long time and a lot of energy. If you can't get a smooth skim on it, consider lining paper.
In relation to the paint, you could try a sieve. Or just pay close attention to it and make sure to remove any 'bits' as you go.

I ended up just painting directly on the plaster, the roughness disappeared after a few coats. It's matte paint. Looks fine. Sieve worked well.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back