Plaster stains on untreated wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if I have posted this one the wrong forum section

Ive recently had a plasterer come to my home to skim our bedroom wall. Unfortunately some of the plaster has got onto our untreated oak wooden doors.

Im keen to avoid causing any further damage, does anyone have any advice on how to remove this staining?

Many thanks for your advice in advance
IMG_20170209_232358.jpg IMG_20170209_232412.jpg IMG_20170209_232346.jpg IMG_20170209_232354.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are they solid or veneered?

Are you going to varnish them?

How old are they?

Thanks for responding

The doors are veneered, its my intention to eventually varnish them; they are literally 6 months old

until the day you varnish them, they will continue getting marked. The veneer will absorb dirt and grease from your hands along the closing edge, and will pick up general dirt and marks.

The day you are ready to varnish them, you can wipe with white spirit to remove grease, and sand lightly with a fine paper to remove marks. The exposed wood will have darkened with exposure to the air, and your sanding will leave paler patches.

No point in cleaning and sanding them earlier because they will just get dirty again.

The more you sand them, the more risk you will go through the veneer (especially on edges, corners and mouldings).

I suppose you could throw dustsheets over them.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back