Plaster to the floor? Faux pas??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new kitchen and have pulled the old units out to find the walls badly covered in mildew and damp. I notice the wall has been plastered right down to the floor. I believe this is a no no and is what is causing the damp. I am just about to have all the walls re-skimmed, should I knock the bottom inch off the plaster back to the brick befor the plasterer comes to do the skimming?

How should I then block the inch gap to stop slimey things coming into the kitchen? Should I put a skirting board up? Will that cause the same problem as the plaster though?

Thanks in anticpation

-----------
I know what I am doing ............ honestly
cwmddd.gif

Sponsored Links
Northernladuk said:
what is causing the damp.

It is know as "Trap Condensation" as there is no proper air flow round the back of the unit,the wall being cold will always suck in the moisture in the air but make sure the outside wall are okay regarding cracks,pointing,gutter etc....

Have a word with the plaster regarding plastering to the floor as it not important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back