Plasterboard alternative?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, was wondering if anyone might be able to suggest an alternative to plasterboard to be used on the internal walls of a small outbuilding I am in the process of building?

The structure is timber framed and the material will be secured to studs as you would with plasterboard.

I was all set on plasterboard, but have been warned that given the climate (external shed) the board will likely weather badly and show heavy signs of mold before very long at all... Not idea!

With this in mind I am after an alternative material, have looked at think ply but that is just so expensive in this use!

Any ideas would be really helpful guys - Thanks!

Sponsored Links
OSB, Cement board etc are all more expensive than plasterboard, you don't need thick ply you can use 9/12mm.

My shed is lined with plaster board (not me), I unscrewed every panel and insulated the gap to the outer planking with 4" glass fibre and screwed the boards back on. No mould. I just could not face the massive amount of work to replace the plaster board. Starting from scratch I would use sheet wood because you can screw things to it and paint it white.
Frank

Look for a cement particle board or cement fibre board. These are moisture stable and rot, fire and damp resistant.

Iirc, there are products from Euroform which are about £20 a sheet (8x4). "Versa-" something I think.

A better option would be a MgO board for about £30 a sheet which are as good as Supalux which is 4x the price. Generally sell under the name as Eco/Econic board.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

I went with a 9mm MDF board in the end.

Gave me a nice blend of being a good, durable material and also being relatively inexpensive at £10 a sheet.

Have already fit 1 wall using this board ans plan to fit the other 3 soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back