Plasterboard ceiling in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Basically, I need some advice regarding a Bathroom ceiling. We removed the 25 year old Artex as it was starting to peel and flake off. Only problem is, on doing so the difficult patches have taken some of the plasterboard lining paper away with it, revealing a cardboard-like texture underneath.

I've let it dry out and smoothed the affected areas down, but was wondering if it would be OK to skim plaster directly onto this (Scrim tape over the joints visible in the second photo), or would it be best to apply some (watered-down) PVA?

Thanks,
Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for your quick reply. OK so basically the plaster will adhere to the surface without the PVA?
I've read conflicting reports on PVA, some swear by it, others say it's over-used and often unnecessary in a lot of cases.

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. OK so basically the plaster will adhere to the surface without the PVA?
I've read conflicting reports on PVA, some swear by it, others say it's over-used and often unnecessary in a lot of cases.

No you need to apply bonding agent but PVA isn't water proof. YOU would be bester taking it all down and boarding or boarding over the ceiling, I would not recomend overboard.

Bathrooms are small enough to take the lot down and reboard.

I don't like to over skim bathrooms because of the high moisture, water also breaks down PVA.

Sponsored Links
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I'll think I will probably end up calling someone in to re-board and plaster it.

Seems like the best option, as the missus will probably have a fit if she sees I've taken it all down by myself! :rolleyes:

I agree, its best to rip it all down, then you can insulate, re board and skim. I would take it down your self, as you'll save your self a few quid getting the plasterer to do it. If you can rip it out, and insulate it, you only need to pay to get it boarded and skimmed.

brad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back