Plasterboard fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Dot and dab seems like a difficult and space wasting technique. im thinking about a few tubes of no more nails. will this be ok??

Cheers

Steve.

Sponsored Links
All depends how much you have to do it will be more expensive with no more nails dot and dab is the best way and it wont come off, its specially designed to create a suction on the board, it can be messy but once its done it will be solid.
Andy.

Have you ever done any dot and dabbing before?

Sponsored Links
frame/hammer fixers work and the No.8s are about 10p each from toolstation. though they are better suited to the insulation backed stuff

I disagree l have dot and dabbed loads of insulated boards with dry wall adhesive and find that its the best method. But l must admit l have never used screw fittings on boards. So am not discounting your method !!!! Horses for coarses ;)..

Thanks for all the replies. Have to do an area 2.3 M by 2.3 M. Ceiling already boarded. Never done dot and dab before. Did a small area last time and used grab adhesive. filled edges with bonding coat and skimmed, went OK but this is a much bigger project. Dot and dab with gyproc dri wall adhesive seems best way to go? Will grab adhesives hold large boards in place quickly? I imagine I could be stood there holding it in place for a long time til it goes off?

You dot and dab it with dry wall adhesive lots of
dabs about 6 inches apart down edge of board and every six inces across the board Times that by size of board (8'x4'boards )and you have a solid area to hold together.You can not put a dot here and a dot there .l have done this type of fixing boards for 30 years so l think I know what l am talking about . Love it or hate it done properly it is a good solid wall! The thing that lets it down is people not knowing how to do it properly...Measure your boards to the height of the ceiling and allow yourself enough room to pack the boards up tight to the ceiling and wedge them up , no need to hold them there ! Tap the boards on with a lenght of 4"x2"" and plumb them up with a 6' level.jobs a good un..

http://www.british-gypsum.com/~/med...Leaflets/General/LIT_InstallationGuide_02.pdf

It's a useful document and I was expecting it to answer the "how many mechanical fixings" question, but it seems that they don't recommend that method at all! Which is interesting, because I was considering mechanically fixing a single panel of insulated plasterboard that I have to do soon simply because I don't want to buy and waste a full 25kg bag of dot-and-dab adhesive. The other option is the spray stuff (e.g. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Everbuild-Pink-Grip-Dry-Fix-750ml/p/132396) but IIRC that has not been popular when mentioned here before.

Dry wall adhesive isn't gonna break the bank and you can put it in a poly bag and seal it up and it will last for ages !

Thanks Roy C and others for help. Dot and Dab it is.
Say hello to roughcaster for me if you see him. Was a great help 4 years ago!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back