plasterboard fixings and wall units.. again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I need to fix some kitchen cabinets to the plasterboard wall. There is about 15mm gap behnd the plasterboard before the wall itself.

First off, i thought i'd be able to use some heavy duty plasterboard plugs screwed into the wall, and attach the cabinets to those. So, i found and used what i thought were the best for the job.... these..

p1542555_l.jpg

'Heavy duty Redidrivas'

Absolute rubbish.. if they encounter ANY type of resistance, they either break, or unsettle/crack/force out the surrounding plasterboard. I've gone through about twenty and fixed in about four.
So, i was thinking of trying these instead...

p1401069_l.jpg

BUt, these are likely to be crap as well.. or would they be okay? If not, how would i fix them properly? I was also thinking of battening into the wall behind, and fixing to the batten?

any help appreciated.. especially if its fast :D

Sponsored Links
adiwill said:
There is about 15mm gap behnd the plasterboard before the wall itself.
Is the wall behind brickwork or is it timber studwork?

If it's brickwork then use something like fischer screws into the brick
p1396254_l.jpg

its breeze block by the look of it.. so the best way would be to use something like you said and fixing into the wall behind, as opposed to fixing to the plasterboard itself?

Okay, I just seen your 2nd post regarding studwork,

Couple of idea you could do, is to cut out a section to put in the noggins in between the stud where it will pick up the brackets of the cabinet

The other one is cut out the a square section undersize of the wall cabinet and use plywood to the same thickness of the plasterboards and then you could use the toggle fixings as the plywood would be stronger

Sponsored Links
adiwill said:
its breeze block by the look of it.. so the best way would be to use something like you said and fixing into the wall behind, as opposed to fixing to the plasterboard itself?
Hit and miss here :LOL:

Yes use fischer screws into the blockwork.

ah okay.. cheers... a resounding 'no' for fixing direct to the plasterboard then :D Guess i'll take the one i've already fixed down and redo it...

ta very much for the quick reply :D

adiwill said:
ah okay.. cheers... a resounding 'no' for fixing direct to the plasterboard then
It won't be stronger enough on plasterboards
Guess i'll take the one i've already fixed down and redo it...
You only got to do it once then you can forget about it, :D

This one although you may get away with 115mm length depending on the thickness of the wall.

A little tip, drill the holes slightly downward.

You could also use coach screws and use a socket
p4078030_l.jpg
p1542983_l.jpg

okay.. just looked at the frame fixings.

For some reason i was under the impression i was giong to use these to attach a wooden batten to the wall, and then attach the cupboards to that... but looking at the fixings i think you were suggesting that i just drill through the plasterboard, gap, and wall, and then just use the frame fixings through the whole lot,

right?

So.... this one

cupboard1.jpg

as opposed to this one...

cupboard2.jpg

and yes, i have too much time on my hands :D

adiwill said:
okay.. just looked at the frame fixings.

For some reason i was under the impression i was giong to use these to attach a wooden batten to the wall, and then attach the cupboards to that... but looking at the fixings i think you were suggesting that i just drill through the plasterboard, gap, and wall, and then just use the frame fixings through the whole lot,

right?
Yes, 15mm gap is not enough to worry about and the weight of all the wall units when bolted together will be spread across the area. The end of the screw in the wall that does the holding and not at the front.

For example, if you drill the hole in the wall and just put the screw into the wall without the rawlplug so it just loose, the wall unit will not fall down because of the weight

done them today .. blimey those frame fixings are strong. Went for the 10x100 and they did the job nicely.

cheers for the advice :cool:

;)

Got my free sample of Universal Spacer Screws yesterday, not a bad idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back