Plasterboard fixings - plastic vs metal

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to hang up some pictures on a plasterboard wall so I bought some self drilling plasterboard fixings. I didn't know if I needed the plastic sort or metal, so I bought a tub with both of them. I hope these are the right fixings for the job - please let me know if you think otherwise.

But when should I use the metal fixings and when should I use the plastic fixings? (I did try Google but couldn't find the answer.)

Sponsored Links
  • Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Today I fitted some curtain rails using the metal fixings and after experimenting with a soon to be replaced plaster board stud wall, I ended up tapping threads in the fitting with the supplied screws first then drilled a 3mm pilot hole and wound the fixing in with a cross head driver. It seemed to place less stress on the hole and the screw could be undone easier if needed without winding out the fitting.
litl

Sponsored Links
Either or. Plastic is just a cheaper version of metal and both do the same job.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back