plasterboard for a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - hope you can help.

Should I be using 9.5mm or 12.5mm board?

Screws or clout nails?

Sponsored Links
12.5mm is less likely to sag. I did mine with nails and it's still up, but I guess you could use screws. The person holding the board might object to screws cos he will be holding it for longer :D

its quite a big ceiling so I guess 12.5 would be best. I used nails before on my ceiling, like you say - its stil there, just cant remember what thickness I used. :oops:

Cheers.

Nails can make the boards look like they are tight to the beams when in fact the board is hanging down on the nail head. When pressure is applied through skimming the nail head pops back through and you have a number of 'divots' in you ceiling.

I nailed my (9.5mm) board up and when my plasterer cam along to skim it he very diplomatically asked me if I would mind if he went over it with screws, after finishing this highlighted how many nails where slightly pretruding (even though I thought I'd knocked them home good and proper). He is a very compitent and experienced plasterer so if he uses screws, I would definately recommend screws.

Sponsored Links
as a thought for the poor person who is supporting the plasterboard while you fix it, may i suggest a broom (other person holds it standing on the floor.)

just a thought

I prefer to use screws where ever possible, a) because they are often easier to tighten up without missing the nail head and going through the board, (b) because you have more control over how much you nip the surface of the board, (c) if there is any give in the battens, the boards don't bounce and (d) it's quieter!

VERY important if you have classes going on in the building, and one or two of my teachers! :confused:

I now that it is best not to have too many joins in the boards as they can crack later on, but I did find that if you cut the boards in half they are a dam sight easier to handle when putting up, and as long as you put the other half of the same board next to each other then you've got a virtually seamless join.

Just thought - what spacing between nails/screws to people recommend.
Ive already been advised to stagger the boards to aviod propogation of cracks.

I was thinking of spacing 4 along a 900 mill wide board along each ceiling joist, so approx 20 cm apart

Samt said:
I was thinking of spacing 4 along a 900 mill wide board along each ceiling joist, so approx 20 cm apart
No problem there,

Also make a couple of T shape with brace out of timber say 3"x1" to support the plasterboard.

Asked my mate who does dry lining for a living, says use 9.5 it's lighter to lift and use plasterboard screws, got a different head shape. The secret is driving screws to exactly the right depth and as Masona says a T support.

Job done - used 9.5 - that was heavy enough, Screws were the buisness - 2 of us with power drivers - bish bash bosh - jobs a good un.

3rd person (my sis bless her) with a broom helps a great deal.

Cheers guys :D

hi, I,ve been a plasterer for many years and I am fascinated by the variety of replies. Firstly years ago there was only the 12.5mm and that was used for walls and ceilings.The only thing that determines whether the board sags are how well it was tacked,distance between joist and how much plaster or fixing are going on ceiling.There is no need to use screws and any plasterer who uses screws is making the job 10 times more difficult.

Well, as a plasterer you obviously know more about plastering than I! :D

When I had a few new stud walls skimmed I had used plasterboard nails. I asked the plasterer if he had any advice for future projects and he said "Nails are ok, but they are more likely to pop. Screws are better for keeping the boards flat against the frame."

I use screws now, I actually find it easier as I can take a lefthand full of screws, stick a screw on my magnetic bit and hold the board with one hand whilst driving with the other. OK, so using a support or having a marra would make that easier still, but sometimes you just want to get a board up.

As with any trade, doing it day in and day out means that you can use nails blindfolded and still get a good job done. :D But for DIY, screws are best. Plus you have the advantage that if you need to get the board off again (perhaps you forgot that you were running cables or pipes) it is easier to just undo some screws and you can reuse the board. Can't really do that with nails.

use proper glue for plasterboard and hold it there with self tapping screws put them in with a drill.I thing the glue is called stud adheisive,and its blue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back