Plasterboard for tiling. Straight or tapered edge?

Wowee! This has gone off at a few tangents
Apart from McBain’s brief hijack (naughty, naughty) not really; TPT & I have merely commented on misguided information.

I asked the tiler in the end and he wants tapered edge. Taped.
In all honesty I can’t understand his logic. Ask him how he proposes to fill out the taper before tiling & post back. If your tile size/weight (less than around 250mm) only requires tub ready mix, then the additional adhesive depth over the taper may well give adhesion problems. If he’s using filler before tiling, I’d advise finding a new tiler! A bathroom should also use MR PB in dry areas, not standard wallboard.

I don't want to keep asking him dumb questions, how many srews per board?
Fix ever 200mm minimum.

I mentioned in my original post that the shower area is to be tile board. I am using Wedi. dam,n it is expensive! :eek:
I use Knauf Aquapanel on almost all installs; it’s good value & perfectly adequate in most domestic installations unless a high output, multi jet & serous power shower is involved.

I do not want to use thier tape and fill system as it introduces an uneven surface for tiling.
Any tape will give a slightly raised surface, it won’t make the slightest bit of difference. If it helps I use 3 overlapping layers of plasterboard tape & skim/fill the mesh with addy before tiling.

I have supported all the joints with studwork and am intending to seal the joints between boards with Stixall sealant/adhesive. Any likely problems?
What type of sealant is it? I wouldn’t use any form of silicone sealant; not much sticks to silicone including tile adhesive & if you spread it around too much you could have problems.

Sponsored Links
I bought this house 5 years ago there were horrible pink tiles in the bathroom. They were fixed staight onto the skimmed walls and not very well as water was getting through. They are round the bath in the shower area.
I pulled them off and half the wall came with them.
So I used plaster board fixed direct to the wall. I followed the tile adhesive instructions and applied a skim to the plasterboard first to make it waterproof. I then fixed the tiles and although I say it myself did a job I was proud of. The tiles were 300x200 and are still perfect to this day.
If I change then the whole plaster board will be renewed.

Sponsored Links
The filler that I was refering to is Easi fill for jointing of PB. The plasterboard is MR.
I’ll say again; use square edge boards for a tiling base & tape/fill the joins with adhesive before tiling. I would not use taper edge boards but if stuck/forced with them I would definitely not use Easyfill on a tile base. Rapidset adhesive yes but not any form of soft filler; if your tiles are of any size/weight you could have adhesion problems.

Stixall is not silicone based. I cannot remember what it is. A relatively new product. http://www.everbuild.co.uk/products/search/stixall/1 Thanks for the info and advice. Ianblue, Sounds good to me. :D
I did had a quick Google look but Stixall seem to make several types of sealer; TBH I’ll stick with tile adhesive worked into mesh tape.

After you’ve tiled, use a matching, quality silicone sealer down the internal corners rather than grout which can crack due to differential movement between adjacent walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back