Plasterboard on artex - would you??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have good old artex on all our ceilings and after a few quotes have considered just plasterboarding over the artex. Would this occur any issue? Do we have to think about the weight of the plasterboard and go for a perticular thickness as we dont want the whole lot coming down. A few people have suggested chipping those stupid staligtights away and then one coating it but after reading up people say avoid that stuff with 2 barge poles.

Suggestions would be appreciated - thanks

Sponsored Links
The artex is from when the bugalow was constructed - 86. The square area to be boarded to is various depending on the room:

Lounge - 4.76m x 3.3m
Hall - T shaped - 3.57m x 1.19m for the vertical of the T and then 4.34m by 0.97 for the horizontal
Kitchen - 1.8m x 3.8
Bathroom - 1.64 x 2.27
B1 - 3.3 x 3.4
B2 - 2.39 x 3.83
B3 - 2.82 x 2.38

Artex is applied to plasterboard, thanks :)

There are few options
Artex 1986 could contain asbestos, so if this removed must be softened first so no dust is made. X-Tex can do that, but that's hard work if you have a lot to remove.
You could using bond-it and plaster over.
You could overboard but you will need to remove any high peaks on the artex, again the peaks must be soften before removal.
As well as using X-Tex. Hot water, steamer or hot air gun all have varying degrees of success.

Sponsored Links
Oh, and would you bother skimming the plasterboard or just paint over it? The reason we thought about plasterboard is the quotes we've had for skimming on the artex is crazy - not to say they are trying to rip us off as I appreciate its a pain to do. But if we can avoid it then all the better for us :)

Yes do a two coat skim on the plasterboards.
Make sure the existing ceiling boards are tight up, and when you overboard screw every 150-200mm.
Are these the same ceilings you intend to install downlights?
If so, some downlights are difficult to install on double boarded ceilings, they don't clip in right. Some do though, so when you purchase downlights, just get one on sale and return to see if they clip in, if they do you can then buy the job lot.

Would you screw them in or just dot and dab? Again speaking to different people you get different reactions. As I understand it the adhesive which you use to stick them up wont be coming down in a hurry.

I would always screw them up, i have only every used dry-wall adhesive when over boarding when joist could not be located or where not in place on or near perimeter edges.
As I understand it the adhesive which you use to stick them up wont be coming down in a hurry.
But can you say that about the boards and artex that are already in place, that you are using as fixing surface. The weight would likely pull the artex surface away, therefore the bond would fail and board will fall.
Screwing to the joist will be far more secure that dot'n'dab method.

usually with an artex over skim i willsoften and lightly scrape off nibs, locate and mark all joists, string and ping them, screw up ceilin just to be sure it will take the extra weight, a coat of wba, float ceilin out flat then skim, sounds like alot i know but its really not alot of work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back