Plasterboard over a tiled surface?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently remodeling space on the ground floor of my house. The building inspector was round today to check the lintel over opening I've installed (which all checked out OK :D ).

We were discussing the next stages which is basically closing up a couple of doorways and creating a toilet and utility room from what was the old kitchen. We were going to strip all the old tiles off the walls (floor to ceiling) but the building inspector suggested putting plasterboarding directly over the tiled surface, because it's sound and flat. I remember a tiler telling me the best surface to tile over was old tiles for pretty much the same reasons.

I like the idea of saving time and dust but don't want to have to do this job again at a later date. Presumably normal pasterboard adhesive will work?

Any thoughts or comments?

Sponsored Links
you can do this, its not the option i would take but it can be done, use drywall addy but before you will need to put a coat of bondit you can get this from wickes, in fact if you use the wickes bondit you can give the tiles a coat of bonding then skim that.
either way you will need the bondit though as it will provide a key to a surface with no key watso ever.
again though my personal preferance would be to take the tiles off but thats just me.

For starters I don’t know where your tiler got that idea from, old tiles are not the best surface to tile over at all. It can be done if there is no real alternative but requires additional preparation & can cause adhesion problems with large format tiles; most decent tillers will regard it as a total bodge.

Unless removing the tiles is not realistically viable, sticking plasterboard over them is also a bodge IMO. Have a thought for the poor sid whose going to come along in a few years time wanting to do some renovation work or redecorate/retile, will discover your delightful little time saver & have to strip the whole lot off & start again. Your BI should stick to his job & is a knob for suggesting it. :evil:

Have you tried taking a couple tiles off to see how well they are fixed? Do you intend to re-tile again afterwards or just plaster? This will dictate the best way for you to precede & weather or not you need to plaster.

You could board over with nailable plugs . If surface true, no need for adhesive. If you need to square up etc , adhesive with nailable plugs after it is all set.

Bear in mind the advice you've got above

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies.

I must say I was a little surprised by the BI's suggestion as it struck me as a botch but then I'm a humble DIY'er and not a professional like you guys and the BI. I just wondered whether this was acceptable practice. Obviously not!

Considering your replies I will take the surface back to brick and go from there. I'd feel much happier about doing that anyway as I really hate botching a job even if that means more work. Anyway, the timber floor has got to come up and be replaced; drains and pipework put through existing walls; the windows will have to be replaced; the list goes on and on. In the great scheme of things, taking the tiles and old plaster off the walls isn't going to a huge task. Besides, it's all good fun! I have a bolster and lump hammer :D

Oh yes, the new walls will not be tiled again, just a plaster finish. A new stud wall will project 90 degrees out from the wall in question (to create the WC room) so I'll tie that into the existing brick structure rather than putting studs over the tile/lime plaster combo that's there at the moment.

Thanks again guys. :cool:

Considering your replies I will take the surface back to brick and go from there. I'd feel much happier about doing that anyway as I really hate botching a job even if that means more work. .... In the great scheme of things, taking the tiles and old plaster off the walls isn't going to a huge task. Besides, it's all good fun!

Nice to hear :D
I'm of the same opinion - tho it does wind the missus up sometimes as it's taking me a while to finish the house!

Considering your replies I will take the surface back to brick and go from there. I'd feel much happier about doing that anyway as I really hate botching a job even if that means more work.
Good man. ;)

A new stud wall will project 90 degrees out from the wall in question (to create the WC room)
I know you have the BI in there so I’m sure you’re aware there are B Regs governing a room with a W/C. Apart from the normal extraction & drainage requirements etc, one that can get overlooked is that any stud wall between a room containing a w/c & another habitable room must be sound insulated.

I know you have the BI in there so I’m sure you’re aware there are B Regs governing a room with a W/C. Apart from the normal extraction & drainage requirements etc, one that can get overlooked is that any stud wall between a room containing a w/c & another habitable room must be sound insulated.

Yes, that's all taken into account thanks Richard. I had to go through the planning permission process for the extension we built and as part of that the new toilet and utility room was included and approved as part of the plan. Fortunately the guy who drew up the plans for us really knows his stuff.

I'm of the same opinion - tho it does wind the missus up sometimes as it's taking me a while to finish the house!

You've got to get her involved feller! I usually leave my other half with a list of jobs to do while I'm at work. Today she's either removing old woodchip, taking plaster off walls or, of course, shopping!

Here's the little lady about to start work. Fortunately she'll never read this post so my gonads won't end up on a trowel!

I think you've made the right choice.

Let's hope they are not the old tiles stuck into sand and cement as per the days before adhesive etc

agreed mate striping them off is the right way to go its what i would have wanted to do, i diddnt know the extent of work that you was doin or your capabilitys, budget ect....... so i gave you a way you could do it, but again its a bodge and takeing them off is the pukka route to take, tell your BI hes a nonce from us haha :LOL: , dnt really or he will make your life hell with every little thing you do

You've got to get her involved feller! I usually leave my other half with a list of jobs to do while I'm at work. Today she's either removing old woodchip, taking plaster off walls or, of course, shopping!

Here's the little lady about to start work. Fortunately she'll never read this post so my gonads won't end up on a trowel!

LOL.
Alas she's at work too during the day and is now 4 months pregnant which further reduces the options. Mind - it's not affected the shopping ability! ;)

haha newbie i know how you feel my fiancee is due on the 11 of this month and shes goin shopping tomorow haha, nothing will ever stop a woman shopping :LOL: :LOL:

Just a quick update to say that the utility/toilet project finished up looking great and I'm confident that it's structurally sound with no bodges :D

All the tiles came off OK and we were able to save a few for the splash back over the toilet basin, a nice bit of continuity from the old to the new. Basically the room was gutted, back to brickwork, floor joists replaced and so forth.

It's all been good fun and I can't quite believe it when I walk through the door and think 'I did that':cool: I'm an amatuer I know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back