Plasterboard Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm about to buy some plasterboards to repair a ceiling and a wall.

I'm no good at plastering, so I want to fix the plasterboard on the
wall, fill in the gaps between the boards with plaster, smooth it down,
and then paint over the top.

I've been told that this is the new way of plastering new houses.

Can I use ordinary plasterboard, or is there a particular type that
I need to buy ?

Can anyone advise how to do this ?

Thanks in advance.

Yorkie

Sponsored Links
Make sure your boards are of the tapered edge sort not the square edge. This should help you.

http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/diy/webpages/244.htm

Instead of using plaster use a jointing compound and follow the instructions. Feather the joints out and when completly dry, sand with a fine paper to smooth finish. Once painted the join should hardly show.

Make sure you use the correct side of the board. I belive it is the white side if you are not going to plater over.

A good tip is to cut your tape to length and loosely roll it up and drop it into a bucket of water for twenty seconds ... loads easier to lay on this way and more time to get it straight and trowell it over.
Dont like the look of this readers digest site ...............plaster skim in two 5mm coats :eek: thats nearly half a bloody inch!!

Many thanks for your replies.

Your time is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
legs-akimbo said:
Dont like the look of this readers digest site ...............plaster skim in two 5mm coats :eek: thats nearly half a b****y inch!!

There are more mistakes on the site, they shouldn't be allowed to publish misleading stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back